Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Upcoming change to site digital infrastructure

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
First off: absolutely nothing on the site is going to change, just the back end.

I am working to get the site moved to a cloud host. Xenforo has actually just kicked off a cloud service and they will provide IT all the way down the line for a reasonable cost.

We will use the server we have as the mitigation if anyone in fact tried deplatform us.

This is going to bring some great benefits, especially when it comes to site dropouts, downtime, internet issues, power outages etc.

Honestly I’m excited and relieved because it’s going to make the product we have much more resilient, while maintaining our back up plans. We have proven to ourselves we can run the show pretty well on our own, so in the worst case we are all good still

Thanks for getting my head in that direction @Cyberty

Cyberty

Elite
Founder
First off: absolutely nothing on the site is going to change, just the back end.

I am working to get the site moved to a cloud host. Xenforo has actually just kicked off a cloud service and they will provide IT all the way down the line for a reasonable cost.

We will use the server we have as the mitigation if anyone in fact tried deplatform us.

This is going to bring some great benefits, especially when it comes to site dropouts, downtime, internet issues, power outages etc.

Honestly I’m excited and relieved because it’s going to make the product we have much more resilient, while maintaining our back up plans. We have proven to ourselves we can run the show pretty well on our own, so in the worst case we are all good still

Thanks for getting my head in that direction @Cyberty
DNS migration should be seamless. When do you expect it?

Cyberty

Elite
Founder
Thats the main concern Isn’t it? If you send todays current database and migration happens tomorrow, all posts made in between will not show. If you then over write the new sever database files with the latest from the office server, you will lose any new posts made on the new server created since migration.

You might want to set up the new server to not show the forums upon migration. Can be as simple as an index.html with a “site under maintenance” Message. Once you know the DNS migration has occurred, you can ftp the current database and then open the site up. All posts are current and no new posts have been created.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Thats the main concern Isn’t it? If you send todays current database and migration happens tomorrow, all posts made in between will not show. If you then over write the new sever database files with the latest from the office server, you will lose any new posts made on the new server created since migration.

You might want to set up the new server to not show the forums upon migration. Can be as simple as an index.html with a “site under maintenance” Message. Once you know the DNS migration has occurred, you can ftp the current database and then open the site up. All posts are current and no new posts have been created.
Well I’m letting the xenforo team handle it, so I won’t have to worry about this. They have been very professional and I have confidence in them.

Should take about 6 hours, but yeah we will have a site maintenance page up in the meantime. They are talking about starting it at 3AM (on the day we arrange) once I can work out a few more details

Latest posts

Top Bottom