Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

To Get Cut or Not To Get Cut?

I have a herniated disc. In medical terms, the doctor described it as "bad". He wants to cut me open and remove the herniation, but he is leaving it up to me. During the first two weeks of this injury, the pain was a 9 or 10 at its worst. It hurt to stand up, to walk, and to sit down. Lying flat on my back was the only thing that would relieve the pain. These days, the pain is about a 2 or 3 at its worst and is much more manageable. Lying flat is still the only comfortable position, but I am able to deal with it.

I told the doctor I would like to go for physical therapy and let this thing heal on its own, so long as the pain stays manageable. He said that could take months. If the pain stays this low, though, I think I'm okay with letting it go the natural way. I have heard of too many back surgeries that present issues later in life that I'd really rather avoid it if possible, especially with it being in my lower back. He has offered for me to call him back and schedule a surgery at any time if the pain gets worse.

Has anybody here had surgery on a herniated disc? How did it go? The doctor describes the procedure as an out-patient surgery. I asked him how long I would be down and he said I would walk out afterwards. If you have had a similar surgery, how correct is that? Has anybody had any lasting side-effects or issues with a surgery like this?

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
I have a herniated disc. In medical terms, the doctor described it as "bad". He wants to cut me open and remove the herniation, but he is leaving it up to me. During the first two weeks of this injury, the pain was a 9 or 10 at its worst. It hurt to stand up, to walk, and to sit down. Lying flat on my back was the only thing that would relieve the pain. These days, the pain is about a 2 or 3 at its worst and is much more manageable. Lying flat is still the only comfortable position, but I am able to deal with it.

I told the doctor I would like to go for physical therapy and let this thing heal on its own, so long as the pain stays manageable. He said that could take months. If the pain stays this low, though, I think I'm okay with letting it go the natural way. I have heard of too many back surgeries that present issues later in life that I'd really rather avoid it if possible, especially with it being in my lower back. He has offered for me to call him back and schedule a surgery at any time if the pain gets worse.

Has anybody here had surgery on a herniated disc? How did it go? The doctor describes the procedure as an out-patient surgery. I asked him how long I would be down and he said I would walk out afterwards. If you have had a similar surgery, how correct is that? Has anybody had any lasting side-effects or issues with a surgery like this?
Do it. I work steel. When I was 24 I fkd my back up bad. 5 yrs later and 5k per yr I had surgery. I waited so long that my muscles got all contorted and now my only problem is muscular. If you wanna talk dm me and ill shoot you me cell. I'm 48 now and my spine is great. At 33 I had neck surgery bc I lost feeling in my fingers. They wanted to do the same bullshit as my back. I said fuck that cut me I'm a great healer. Not 1 problem w neck or back really and I still hump the fuck outta steel.

Do it. I work steel. When I was 24 I fkd my back up bad. 5 yrs later and 5k per yr I had surgery. I waited so long that my muscles got all contorted and now my only problem is muscular. If you wanna talk dm me and ill shoot you me cell. I'm 48 now and my spine is great. At 33 I had neck surgery bc I lost feeling in my fingers. They wanted to do the same bullshit as my back. I said fuck that cut me I'm a great healer. Not 1 problem w neck or back really and I still hump the fuck outta steel.
Thanks, man. That sounds like a pretty dang good vote for surgery.

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
Get a second opinion, if he says the same thing do it. You can take your MRI's with you so you don't have to get those done again.

I have had 3 open Achilles, 3 rotator cuff, two hernias and a broken neck.... Always get a second opinion before going in under the knife

Get a second opinion, if he says the same thing do it. You can take your MRI's with you so you don't have to get those done again.

I have had 3 open Achilles, 3 rotator cuff, two hernias and a broken neck.... Always get a second opinion before going in under the knife
Good call. I have twins due sometime in the next 4 weeks (whenever they decide to come) and I definitely don't want to get sliced open around the same time they come, because I'm going to have to be able to perform and help the wife out while she heals from the c-section.

AgEngDawg

Legendary

Binge watch this whole series twice and then make up your decision.

JK, definitely don't do that.

1631043256129.png

AgEngDawg

Legendary

Have you seen a chiro? Seriously A chiro kept me vertical. I thought I was not going to be vertical much longer until I started working with him.

I know that a lot of people give chiros shit. However, my chiro kept me from surgery and I feel good.

It takes a while. It took me like 10 appointments to start feeling better. However, it was worth it.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Good call. I have twins due sometime in the next 4 weeks (whenever they decide to come) and I definitely don't want to get sliced open around the same time they come, because I'm going to have to be able to perform and help the wife out while she heals from the c-section.
Hey there is nothing wrong w healing but just know if you're a steel humper it won't ever heal. If you're an office guy well fine. But then no more basketball jogging lifting heavy shit or monkey fucking from chandeliers. Trade offs

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Have you seen a chiro? Seriously A chiro kept me vertical. I thought I was not going to be vertical much longer until I started working with him.

I know that a lot of people give chiros shit. However, my chiro kept me from surgery and I feel good.

It takes a while. It took me like 10 appointments to start feeling better. However, it was worth it.
Do not do that shit. If you are really hurt and have a bulging disc I cannot tell you enough dont go this route. My good buddy is a back cracka. He almost killed me. He is what convinced me surgery. Dont take pain pills drink brown liquor. I was already Irish and drank. Leave the pain pills out

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
Do not do that shit. If you are really hurt and have a bulging disc I cannot tell you enough dont go this route. My good buddy is a back cracka. He almost killed me. He is what convinced me surgery. Dont take pain pills drink brown liquor. I was already Irish and drank. Leave the pain pills out
ScalyHalfGuineapig-size_restricted.gif

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder

You are going to just drop a broken neck on us and not tell us what happened?

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
I
I burn and booze. I ate pills for 5 yrs legitimately. I told my fam I didn't want any pain meds after to see if it worked. It wasn't til 15 yrs later I realizes I was dope sick for 2 weeks. I like shitting properly and not feeling like shit all the time. But I have a crazy high threshold for pain. I compound fractured my femur at 13 in jv fb

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
You are going to just drop a broken neck on us and not tell us what happened?
Hit a concrete culvert doing 60mph not wearing a seat belt, woke up in the MRI hearing the nurses celebrating midnight new years eve 2004/05.

Also before you ask I was omw to the see sloot I was dating at 4pm after work. So no alcohol was involved just an exhausted me fell asleep after working 60 hour weeks for 3 months after Hurricane Ivan. Spent 4 moths in one of these

6df4bc94d53a0ac0507ba285a7969211.jpg

Molon Labe

MAGA Man
Founder

Getting surgery on your back almost never goes well. In back surgery, it’s said 33% get better, 33% get worse and 33% stay the same. I’m a doctor fwiw.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Hit a concrete culvert doing 60mph not wearing a seat belt, woke up in the MRI hearing the nurses celebrating midnight new years eve 2004/05.

Also before you ask I was omw to the see sloot I was dating at 4pm after work. So no alcohol was involved just an exhausted me fell asleep after working 60 hour weeks for 3 months after Hurricane Ivan. Spent 4 moths in one of these

6df4bc94d53a0ac0507ba285a7969211.jpg
Damn man, thats scary!

I have seen a chiro about 4 or 5 times so far. I have definitely noticed a difference and I have another appointment scheduled for this Friday. He was seeing me almost daily there for a bit, but once I started improving it seems he is going to space it out now. I definitely intend to keep going during this healing process, surgery or no surgery.

Hey there is nothing wrong w healing but just know if you're a steel humper it won't ever heal. If you're an office guy well fine. But then no more basketball jogging lifting heavy shit or monkey fucking from chandeliers. Trade offs
I have an office job but I also teach a martial art and lead a pretty active life outside of the office. I definitely want to take the route that will get me back to 100%.

AgEngDawg

Legendary
I have seen a chiro about 4 or 5 times so far. I have definitely noticed a difference and I have another appointment scheduled for this Friday. He was seeing me almost daily there for a bit, but once I started improving it seems he is going to space it out now. I definitely intend to keep going during this healing process, surgery or no surgery.

I don't by their BS foot treatments, electrical stimulation, supplements, or any of that shit. However, a good chiro can improve a back. Two of my discs in my lower back like to sit right on top of the other and squeeze the fuck out of the nerve and shit. When that happens I just have to go to the chiro for a while.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder

Get a second opinion. I had a pretty badly herniated C4-C5 disc about 5 or 6 years ago. Had a very well respected ortho guy who specialized in backs check me out. He wanted to go in and "clean it up". Sounded good to me. He had fixed up my aunt and grandmother years earlier, and like I said, is very well respected.

Well my brother in law is an orthopedic surgeon, specializes in hands. He said if it was him, with the problem being in my neck, he wouldn't go to an orthopedist but to a neurosurgeon. He got me into a great neurosurgeon who put in an artificial disc. I had not even heard about that. At 42 years old, can't say I'm good as new, but pretty damn close. The procedure was outpatient, with instant relief and almost zero scarring.

Pre-surgery

Astragalus

Poster
Founder
If it’s just pain you are experiencing, and there’s no weakness in your legs or bowel or bladder problems, then its definitely reasonable to try nonoperative treatment first. Especially if it’s getting better already. Often, pain resolves with physical therapy, anti inflammatories, lumbar epidural steroid injections, etc. You don’t burn any bridges with that. If you have any doubts, get a second opinion.

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder
Had a herniated and did PT.

Wish I would have gotten surgery. My muscles have never been able to correct appropriately and it gives me pain up the rest of my back into the base of my skull which then brings headaches.

Do what you think is best OP but laterally shaking isn’t good for a bad disc FWIW

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
If it’s just pain you are experiencing, and there’s no weakness in your legs or bowel or bladder problems, then its definitely reasonable to try nonoperative treatment first. Especially if it’s getting better already. Often, pain resolves with physical therapy, anti inflammatories, lumbar epidural steroid injections, etc. You don’t burn any bridges with that. If you have any doubts, get a second opinion.

Insurance is almost certainly going to make him try PT & epidural steroids before they will pay for surgery. Alot of people do get relief with that, too. Those steroid injections helped me a good bit, but I needed surgery to get to a point where the pain wasn't affecting my life so much. Obviously no 2 cases are identical.

AgEngDawg

Legendary
GI, but I was pretty interested in ortho in Med school and had a ton of rotations in it. Most of them would tell you not to do it too and it’s their job.

Oh cool.

BTW, how often during the day do you think, "Hey I know what would be a good idea, we should stick a camera up this guys ass."

JK, thanks for all you do. I will be 45 next year and visiting one of your colleagues. I am not looking forward to it.

BTW, are you seeing any long term effects from Covid on your patients gastrointestinal system?

jbenge

Poster
Founder
do it! had it done 2 years ago...) pain afterwards, walked out the next day...have taken no pain meds since surgery

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Funny story about back surgery. When I had mine a few years back, a coworker was out at the same time having several vertebrae fused at a well known spine place in Mt Pleasant. I was back at work a week later, could have gone back the next day imo, but I digress...

She came into the ER where we work about 6 days after her surgery at like 2 in the morning. She had yet to have a bowel movement since the operation, and was now in alot of pain because of this. They gave her an enema, and on the bedside toilet she was able to go.

Rewind to when they did her procedure, they went in through the front. They cut in, & basically shoved everything aside to get to the spine. To help everything get moving again in the GI tract, they also gave her a suppository, some kind of laxative or something I guess, not sure.

Back to the ER room, and she had finally taken a massive shit, 6+ days worth. She notices something weird, like a bright white spot in the shit. So she makes the nurse get her some tongue depressors, and what does she fish out? The suppository...still in the fucking plastic wrapper!🤣 I wish I had her old high ass on tape telling me all this. She wondered over to the lab, fucked up on painkillers, to tell me all about it before she went home.

RHT 3

Elite

I've had 3 surgeries on my L5-S1, the last a fusion.

Cleaning up a disk will only delay the inevitable. Fuse the sucker if it is that bad trust me. HOWEVER....

Your pain at 2-3 is nowhere near enough to get cut on.

If your pain does not have you wishing for death, and I mean literally dead would be better ( I have been there) then say no to surgery.

I am El Nino

Poster
I agree on getting surgery, but honestly it depends on the degree of herniation. Microdiscectomies are pretty simple and get instant relief. The level would also be of consideration. L-3 and lower would be a no brainer for me. Lots of factors to think about. Are you having any nerve involvement that you notice?

I agree on getting surgery, but honestly it depends on the degree of herniation. Microdiscectomies are pretty simple and get instant relief. The level would also be of consideration. L-3 and lower would be a no brainer for me. Lots of factors to think about. Are you having any nerve involvement that you notice?
Nerve involvement may be a medical term I'm unfamiliar with. If not, I may need some clarification. When the disc presses on the nerves, it causes what feels like a cramp in my right buttcheek and my thigh. Feels like the muscles tighten up and won't let go. Not so bad these days, but for those first two weeks it was pretty unbearable. At some point the calf joined the party, but stopped hurting soon after. Now my heel is what I notice more than anything. Hurts to put pressure on it. This has been an odd one.

The surgeon treated it like it would be the simplest thing. "Go in and cut the herniation out" and "you'll walk out of there." He didn't mention the exact location of the herniation. It's lower back... That's all I really know. I need to ask for copies of my MRI so I'll have that info.

I am El Nino

Poster
Nerve involvement may be a medical term I'm unfamiliar with. If not, I may need some clarification. When the disc presses on the nerves, it causes what feels like a cramp in my right buttcheek and my thigh. Feels like the muscles tighten up and won't let go. Not so bad these days, but for those first two weeks it was pretty unbearable. At some point the calf joined the party, but stopped hurting soon after. Now my heel is what I notice more than anything. Hurts to put pressure on it. This has been an odd one.

The surgeon treated it like it would be the simplest thing. "Go in and cut the herniation out" and "you'll walk out of there." He didn't mention the exact location of the herniation. It's lower back... That's all I really know. I need to ask for copies of my MRI so I'll have that info.
That would be nerve involvement caused by the herniation. They are simple, likely 2-1in incisions. They don't take long.

Molon Labe

MAGA Man
Founder
Oh cool.

BTW, how often during the day do you think, "Hey I know what would be a good idea, we should stick a camera up this guys ass."

JK, thanks for all you do. I will be 45 next year and visiting one of your colleagues. I am not looking forward to it.

BTW, are you seeing any long term effects from Covid on your patients gastrointestinal system?
Basically every single day I think we should scope people up and down. The joke is, if it’s gotta butthole I wanna scope it.

Havent seen any proven residual effects from covid on GI tracts. Best of lucky friend.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder

Just curious, is this a constant thing? Or can you get relief, depending on your position? The worst part of my pain was that it just never let up. Not even during sleep. Month after month of serious pain with no relief just wears you the fuck down...hope you are not that bad off.

Top Bottom