Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The Player’s Championship - Who’s watching this weekend?

denn

Legendary
Founder
Currently in a weather delay. I will be watching but I watch just about every tourney from every tour.

I am not the biggest fan of Sawgrass. More specifically not a big fan of too many Pete Dye designs. I've played Sawgrass a few times, Fortunately I didn't have to pay for it because I would not have played if that was the case.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Currently in a weather delay. I will be watching but I watch just about every tourney from every tour.

I am not the biggest fan of Sawgrass. More specifically not a big fan of too many Pete Dye designs. I've played Sawgrass a few times, Fortunately I didn't have to pay for it because I would not have played if that was the case.
Pete Dye courses ..... what is it that you don't like about them? Would you say one of the knocks on his courses are that they are too tight in the fairways?

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
I recently moved to a golf community. I've never played. Now I'm afraid to. People were golfing in 37 degree, light rain conditions. Earlier this week we had a large front coming through about 10 AM, and people were on the course at 8. It's got to be addictive.
I just love being outdoors on the green grass. Golf is quite challenging mentally so i enjoy that aspect of it also.

I would say the biggest tip for beginning golfers is to maintain pace of play. No one cares if you suck, we have all been there. As long as you aren't holding anyone up you generally won't bother people.

yankmenoodle

Elite
It costs $8K to be a member, so I'll spend some time at a local driving range, then play with some of our friends that golf regularly, and see if I like it. They have a community yard sale once a year, and I bought two sets of clubs for $30. Together I have a dated, but full set.

denn

Legendary
Founder
Pete Dye courses ..... what is it that you don't like about them? Would you say one of the knocks on his courses are that they are too tight in the fairways?
I have no issue with tight courses off the tee. His courses just don’t fit my eye. Ive played a lot them both in competition and casually and had a little success but I just prefer other designers styles. Just a personal preference. The man and his wife Alice are legends in the game of golf and rightly so.

RollyInRaleigh

Legendary
I have no issue with tight courses off the tee. His courses just don’t fit my eye. Ive played a lot them both in competition and casually and had a little success but I just prefer other designers styles. Just a personal preference. The man and his wife Alice are legends in the game of golf and rightly so.
That kinda says how I feel about Dye courses...I love Donald Ross courses!

denn

Legendary
Founder
That kinda says how I feel about Dye courses...I love Donald Ross courses!
Some of my absolute favorite courses are Donald Ross courses. His influence up here in New England is everywhere. He landed in Boston after leaving Scotland for the states. CC of Waterbury being one of my favorite courses anywhere. A gem. Pinehurst #2 never gets old

RollyInRaleigh

Legendary
My son is a Purdue grad...turf science guy...and he’s assistant superintendent at a great Ross Private course in Charlotte...Carolina Golf Club. They keep it immaculate. I love going over to play there from time to time.

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
I recently moved to a golf community. I've never played. Now I'm afraid to. People were golfing in 37 degree, light rain conditions. Earlier this week we had a large front coming through about 10 AM, and people were on the course at 8. It's got to be addictive.
For decades there were 4 in our group who played every weekend and more. We usually chose the course where we played based on what restaurant we wanted to eat at afterwards.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
It costs $8K to be a member, so I'll spend some time at a local driving range, then play with some of our friends that golf regularly, and see if I like it. They have a community yard sale once a year, and I bought two sets of clubs for $30. Together I have a dated, but full set.
Just have fun. Mu problem was growing up it was a job .I was great but hated being forced to practice. I didn't play for 25 years. Now it is fun again. Drunk driving carts is the best part

Latest posts

Top Bottom