Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The Good and Bad of HOAs - What’s your take on HOAs?

TopHook

Legendary
Founder
Okay.
1. Flipping a townhouse in a very nice community, but the amenities were a shit show except for the pool and club house. South south myrtle with a plantation house and probably one of very few 10 ft deep pools, if you know where i'm talking about then you know. Turns out the person that was running the HOA was skimming off the top and not doing much else. Had 2 HOA fees one was for $1400 and the other about $400. One was for the whole project and boat dock; the other for the townhomes common area. Nothing could be done about the manager of the HOA because he owned the majority of the property and had deciding vote on what was done. I don't know what happened to him but everyone knew. I didn't hold the property for very long.
2. Currently have a town home on the north side of Myrtle beach and the HOA was going through a change of management. The current person managing the HOA was looking to get out because she had health issues and also didn't want to deal with the problems. Pops built the project back in 85. About a year after I took over the last unit he had there was a water problem. The current fee was $50 a quarter. At the time we were looking for a new manager and trying to figure out the water problem was; a leak somewhere. The usual bill was some where around $400 a month, i think. Then we started to get bill in the $1400 range. The owners next to me kinda took the HOA management over because the lady just gave it to him with out letting anyone else know. Here comes the cluster fuck. He started an account and deposited monies into it and we had no budget so to say, and we were just paying off of reserves. He has a construction business and says he will do it put meters in to every unit to get a reading on what water every unit was using. Well of course he does and we just end up paying it $700 a unit for a 1 time payment. He ends up selling his unit and bolting to fucking chawwlestun and left the rest of us with the mess. Owners get together a we have to get with the attorney general, cause the bitch now running it knows him, fucking whore, to find the bank account and getting that money back start basically over. I now pay $175 a quarter. Not bad still considering.

Go to your HOA meetings people. HOAs are not there to make money. The management companies are. All in all #1 was the most fucked up.

BLatta12

Administrator
Administrator
Okay.
1. Flipping a townhouse in a very nice community, but the amenities were a shit show except for the pool and club house. South south myrtle with a plantation house and probably one of very few 10 ft deep pools, if you know where i'm talking about then you know. Turns out the person that was running the HOA was skimming off the top and not doing much else. Had 2 HOA fees one was for $1400 and the other about $400. One was for the whole project and boat dock; the other for the townhomes common area. Nothing could be done about the manager of the HOA because he owned the majority of the property and had deciding vote on what was done. I don't know what happened to him but everyone knew. I didn't hold the property for very long.
2. Currently have a town home on the north side of Myrtle beach and the HOA was going through a change of management. The current person managing the HOA was looking to get out because she had health issues and also didn't want to deal with the problems. Pops built the project back in 85. About a year after I took over the last unit he had there was a water problem. The current fee was $50 a quarter. At the time we were looking for a new manager and trying to figure out the water problem was; a leak somewhere. The usual bill was some where around $400 a month, i think. Then we started to get bill in the $1400 range. The owners next to me kinda took the HOA management over because the lady just gave it to him with out letting anyone else know. Here comes the cluster fuck. He started an account and deposited monies into it and we had no budget so to say, and we were just paying off of reserves. He has a construction business and says he will do it put meters in to every unit to get a reading on what water every unit was using. Well of course he does and we just end up paying it $700 a unit for a 1 time payment. He ends up selling his unit and bolting to fucking chawwlestun and left the rest of us with the mess. Owners get together a we have to get with the attorney general, cause the bitch now running it knows him, fucking whore, to find the bank account and getting that money back start basically over. I now pay $175 a quarter. Not bad still considering.

Go to your HOA meetings people. HOAs are not there to make money. The management companies are. All in all #1 was the most fucked up.
Sounds like a shit show. Glad y’all got it under control.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
I live in a neighborhood where the houses are tight together, short street with a cul-de-sac at the end. 22 kids live on the street. It so happens that in the middle of the cul-de-sac a couple with NO kids bought it and built there.

Now this asshole is on the HOA board and thinks its his civic responsibility to go around and dole out fines for the HOA. Said asshole has a boat on his property, which is against HOA laws. He turned me in because my "house needed to be painted". This was among 2-3 other minor things he reported to the HOA.

Anyway, we went from being cordial to where i just ignore him. We had a couple run-ins where I got my point across that we weren't on speaking terms anymore.

BLatta12

Administrator
Administrator
Brooks, do those Polo shirt fix large or small? gonna order other one today.
They are pretty true to size. I ordered a large and it fits well.

Sometimes, I can wear an extra large depending on how things are made. I am glad I got a large in this case.

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder
No issues with mine. Even got approval to make the footprint for my fence bigger than what the rules allow.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Why not move?

I'd never live anywhere where a HOA can tell me what to do.
I lived in one in myrtle 1994ish
An old lady down the road was to frail to mow the lawn and fixed income couldn't afford it. They fined her for unkempt lawn. She couldn't pay it. They attempted to foreclose the property over a yard fine for too tall grass. Couple of us got together paid the fine then 4 of us rotated weekly on mowing her lawn. Absolute bullshit. An old lady was gonna lose a 200k house over a 25.00 fine that grew. Horse shit

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
As much as i hate the HOA, i respect its need. If you have one asshole messing everything up for everybody there needs to be a way to fix it. If you don't want to deal with it, then do like @rebarcock said and move somewhere without one.

We live in an area with one for the kids sake, but we also keep some property about an hour away where we can stretch our legs and do whatever we want.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Nice work @BLatta12.

Anyway y'all could pin the topics for the upcoming podcast on the top of the board a few days prior to the podcast? That way we could get the discussion going before hand and maybe you guys could hit on points from the board?

Zgdaf

Elite
Founder
I live in a neighborhood where the houses are tight together, short street with a cul-de-sac at the end. 22 kids live on the street. It so happens that in the middle of the cul-de-sac a couple with NO kids bought it and built there.

Now this asshole is on the HOA board and thinks its his civic responsibility to go around and dole out fines for the HOA. Said asshole has a boat on his property, which is against HOA laws. He turned me in because my "house needed to be painted". This was among 2-3 other minor things he reported to the HOA.

Anyway, we went from being cordial to where i just ignore him. We had a couple run-ins where I got my point across that we weren't on speaking terms anymore.
Although this will probably go against your by-laws, I assume you have an association management company? If so just have an attorney friend reach out directly to their attorney, list the harassment issues on fines and the prez has a boat illegally parked. Ask to see the ledger that should include all fines, etc. for everyone. Post it all online.
also have the attorney friend inform them all communications need to go thru him.
This will run up the legal bill of the association.. who cares if your partially responsible for the association bills.
This exact scenario came up when some rappers daughter lived in my condo building and threw parties. They wouldn’t talk directly to the association management, but only thru the attorney because the lady on the board also had run ins with the daughter. Damn that legal bill got out of hand.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
My parents lived in a HOA in Daytona FL. Dad planted an orange tree in the yard. 1 year later he got fined because his tree was within 6ft of the property line and he had to move the tree. It was a dwarf tree and wouldn't have crossed the property line and only got to like 6' tall.... He sold the place and used every cuss word he knew on the neighbor as they moved. He had 3 Harleys and instead of trailering them out he waited until midnight and just burned out as hard as he could on all three to take them to a buddies place until they got a new place.

HOA's are for Karen types that have no life and no friends and want to force people to not have any fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom