Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Snake ID thread

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Do we have one of these yet?

saw this guy yesterday. I think it’s a Timber rattlesnake. Not 100% sure because I did a close inspection and did not see a rattle. Could it be a juvenile with no rattle?3DCFE95F-8E3B-42A3-B2A3-141BB40957E5.jpeg0AC17ABE-2FB4-445F-B9C9-8FE9A87C1AAC.jpeg67E05AA6-F318-444B-928A-94821D316AB8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cre8ive

Shaping the Future of Reality
Founder
Do we have one of these yet?

saw this guy yesterday. I think it’s a Timber rattlesnake. Not 100% sure because I did a close inspection and did not see a rattle. Could it be a juvenile with no rattle?View attachment 24202View attachment 24203View attachment 24204
That sure has the markings of a rattle snake. I have some on my property and even the ones 1/3 that size have rattlers. They get a new rattler each time they shed skin. This one is quite large. It could be a bull snake, they are often mistaken for rattlers. But another give away for a rattle snake, or any poisonous snake, is a triangular shaped head which houses the poison glands on each side.

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
Looks like a cotton mouth otehrwise known as a water moccasin to me, fyi they are not aggressive and as long as you stay away from it, it will stay away from you.

Copper heads on the other hand are assholes and will chase you if you get close.

The-Cottonmouth-Snake.jpeg

IMG_4161.jpg

Also get one of these, best snake gun made

Taurus_Judge_2-441031T_R-bf76e6a4.jpeg

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
That sure has the markings of a rattle snake. I have some on my property and even the ones 1/3 that size have rattlers. They get a new rattler each time they shed skin. This one is quite large. It could be a bull snake, they are often mistaken for rattlers. But another give away for a rattle snake, or any poisonous snake, is a triangular shaped head which houses the poison glands on each side.

i tried to get a good look at the head and it was triangular according to my amateur opinion. I have killed one other rattlesnake and it looked pretty similar to me. But I hate snakes and so didn’t get too close.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Looks like a cotton mouth otehrwise known as a water moccasin to me, fyi they are not aggressive and as long as you stay away from it, it will stay away from you.

Copper heads on the other hand are assholes and will chase you if you get close.

IMG_4161.jpg

this one was not aggressive. It was crossing the road and I stopped to look at it. Got within Several feet but he didn’t do much other than raise his head. He wasn’t scared because I was too much of a pussy to mess with him. And he knew it.

Jtrain80

Legendary
this one was not aggressive. It was crossing the road and I stopped to look at it. Got within Several feet but he didn’t do much other than raise his head. He wasn’t scared because I was too much of a pussy to mess with him. And he knew it.

I will run like a scared little girl from snakes.

If I had to choose between a snake or being shipwrecked at sea, I would probably just go ahead and die.

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
I will run like a scared little girl from snakes.

If I had to choose between a snake or being shipwrecked at sea, I would probably just go ahead and die.

This is me and anything with more than 4 legs..... Snakes are no problem but a fucking spider or centipede type shit and I will crap my pants.

I had a couple of redtail boa's just out of HS and they used to pull me so much trim at the beach. Girls loved to pet my snake.....

imprimis

Legendary
Founder

IMG_4161.jpg

A 20 ga will vaporize a copperhead. I saw it happen at Thanksgiving.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder

IMG_4161.jpg

you have it backwards. Copperheads are shy. Water Mocs are so mean that they will check into the room next to you at the Hampton Inn so they can bite you when you get in the pool.

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
you have it backwards. Copperheads are shy. Water Mocs are so mean that they will check into the room next to you at the Hampton Inn so they can bite you when you get in the pool.
Nope don't have it backwards, have been killing copperheads for years. Have only seen cotton mouths a handful of times. They keep to themselves, if you get close to a copperhead it will come at you.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
Nope don't have it backwards, have been killing copperheads for years. Have only seen cotton mouths a handful of times. They keep to themselves, if you get close to a copperhead it will come at you.

I guess your copperheads and cottonmouths are different than mine.

either way, I kill them regardless. Here’s a copperhead from earlier this week.

02B50F36-EBDB-463B-B1E6-2322934E0F59.jpeg

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
I put 410 shells in my judge... Lot easier to carry around that in the woods than an over/under

p_105202566_1.jpg

393924.jpg

Those are nice loads, but just my 2 cents- I find them punishing to shoot. Awesome snake gun with some birdshot...beats the shit out of some cci shotshells, that's for sure.

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
Those are nice loads, but just my 2 cents- I find them punishing to shoot. Awesome snake gun with some birdshot...beats the shit out of some cci shotshells, that's for sure.

More of a multi use shell for me, I keep the judge on my night stand so alternating those and 00 buck in it. My dad uses his for just for the farm and keeps bird shot in it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom