Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Segway suicide bombing gone wrong

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
200.gif

mrt

Elite
My biggest explosion experience was our 1000 gallon JP 4 bladder going up after a direct 60mm hit. Flames were pretty high and there was a cement perimeter bunker right behind the bladder, the guy on guard duty atop the bunker was thumping out 75 rounds over the sandbags, he said he wasn't sticking his head up to aim but just firing over his shoulder. It got so hot he had to get off the bunker. We were on top of the bunkers because the rats lived inside the bunkers. You know I saw one man survive a 60mm round landing right beside him and it only screwed up his hearing but he had no wounds. I had to drag dead bodies out and load them when we had swing duty. One I particularly remember had no head ! he was wrapped in a poncho from his waist up. The crew chief and I would sit there staring at the blood running all over the floor of the aircraft. It smelled so bad it was just so sickening. We landed at the staging area and off loaded the bodies and the crew chief had the head end of the headless guy, the pilots were getting impatient and I finally had to walk around to the other side and drag the body out. When I got back in the helicopter there was several large pieces of shrapnel laying in a big puddle of blood. The Vietnamese were different religions and one group all carried a small bottle green mint. If they were dead their buddies would sprinkle their body with that mint and it was just awful smelling, especially when it sat out in the sun for hours. I think I have smelled just about everything there is to smell that is disgusting. Every other week I would get the firefly duty, fly all night around the airfield and surrounding areas. We would come in about every hour and a half and refuel without shutting down, the mess hall would send out some ham sandwiches and sometimes they would have chocolate milk. It was always sour and spoiled because it came from Hawaii and we had no good refrigeration. I can't forget those ham sandwiches and spoiled chocolate milk. It would get so boring some nights the pilots would play snoopy and chase each other at 10,000 feet with lights out and then when they got lined up they would hit them with the landing light. I usually lay down on the floor to nap but my helmet como cable was just short enough that I couldn't lay my head on the floor, I would just lay there pulling on the cable with my head swinging . ;0)

Latest posts

Top Bottom