Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Praying everyone's alright from Arky to Kentucku

PleasureMoose

Legendary
Illinois got rocked. This is the Amazon warehouse
1639232318785.jpg

KendallCat

Poster
Prayers go out to those people impacted in Mayfield where I have friends from college. We live several hours East in Lexington, and were fortunate we only got high winds and a wake up via the emergency alert around 4am - went to the basement for about 45 minutes until it passed And got the all clear. This thing was massive - 35,000 feet high and some winds over 300 mph.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Sorry for the loss but i thought there was an early warning system to alert these folks of the impending danger

Maybe they were warned, and got to the safest place they could. Not many places would be safe from a tornado like this. Or maybe they didn't get the warning. We had a tornado come within 8 blocks of us a couple years ago. We were listening for the sirens, but never heard them because the wind was so loud. Not sure what your point is here.

TJHall1

Legendary
Maybe they were warned, and got to the safest place they could. Not many places would be safe from a tornado like this. Or maybe they didn't get the warning. We had a tornado come within 8 blocks of us a couple years ago. We were listening for the sirens, but never heard them because the wind was so loud. Not sure what your point is here.
He's from Africa, just not familiar with tornados.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
He's from Africa, just not familiar with tornados.

Ahhhh, that's right...makes sense now. @Emma tenywa we do have warnings, but they are usually very short notice and everyone doesn't always get them. Also, it may have been impossible to get somewhere safe in time. Tornadoes are some of the hardest things to accurately predict. Also, they often hit at night when people are sleeping. Scary shit.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
I know in KY, it was moving so fast the radar was useless in tracking it.
One woman that made it out of the candle factory said she got the alert and the building caved in before she got to the shelter area. She had to crawl through debris to get out of the building.

My farm buildings have no damage but I had 5 trees that were just snapped in half about 8' to 20' up in the tree. Not sure if it was tornado that just touched down for a sec or if some weird straight line wind whipped them just right. The one pine tree was a healthy, thick, bastard. My dad and I was trying to figure out how those 5 snapped like that and nothing around it got damaged.

Zgdaf

Elite
Founder
Damn, must been way down southern illinois.
Suburb of St. Louis.
Sorry for the loss but i thought there was an early warning system to alert these folks of the impending danger
Amazon doesn’t allow for cell phones. Workers didn’t know, but since they have to piss in bottles to make their efficiency numbers, management probability didn’t say anything. As previously mentioned though where would they go?

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Prayers go out to those people impacted in Mayfield where I have friends from college. We live several hours East in Lexington, and were fortunate we only got high winds and a wake up via the emergency alert around 4am - went to the basement for about 45 minutes until it passed And got the all clear. This thing was massive - 35,000 feet high and some winds over 300 mph.
I hadn't seen 300mph but I believe it.
Ahhhh, that's right...makes sense now. @Emma tenywa we do have warnings, but they are usually very short notice and everyone doesn't always get them. Also, it may have been impossible to get somewhere safe in time. Tornadoes are some of the hardest things to accurately predict. Also, they often hit at night when people are sleeping. Scary shit.
@Emma tenywa with a giant like what that tornado was there are really no safe areas known until after the hit. Look at what happened to those buildings. About the only safe spot would be a tunnel or cave. Anything above ground would be potentially destroyed

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
One woman that made it out of the candle factory said she got the alert and the building caved in before she got to the shelter area. She had to crawl through debris to get out of the building.

My farm buildings have no damage but I had 5 trees that were just snapped in half about 8' to 20' up in the tree. Not sure if it was tornado that just touched down for a sec or if some weird straight line wind whipped them just right. The one pine tree was a healthy, thick, bastard. My dad and I was trying to figure out how those 5 snapped like that and nothing around it got damaged.
Tornadoes are crazy with their destruction. So many variables w wind and sheer.
We have all heard about pinestraw embedded in concrete after storms.
I turned off the coverage yesterday. All I can do is pray and support

TJHall1

Legendary
Just gonna piggy back on this thread. Parts of upper midwest have high probability of tornadoes later this afternoon and night. Just a few days ago here in north central iowa we had 3-6 inches of snow on the ground and temps dropping to 15 at night. Today it's 67 right now and possibility of 70 mph wind gusts later this afternoon.

TJHall1

Legendary
70 of 99 counties in Iowa on tornado watch for this afternoon and tonight. This is absolutely insane for the middle of December.

champsballs

Elite
Founder
70 of 99 counties in Iowa on tornado watch for this afternoon and tonight. This is absolutely insane for the middle of December.

Ya this is getting stupid. The 65-75mph gusts just picked up here on the ks/ne border and now in a tornado watch. Looks like the line of storms is about an hour or 2 away from us right now with multiple tornadoes already reported. It was nice knowing yall.

TJHall1

Legendary
Ya this is getting stupid. The 65-75mph gusts just picked up here on the ks/ne border and now in a tornado watch. Looks like the line of storms is about an hour or 2 away from us right now with multiple tornadoes already reported. It was nice knowing yall.
1nq6Fv.gif

TJHall1

Legendary
20 miles west of me just had 102 mph winds. No tornado spotted tho. It's going west to east so we'll see what we get shortly.

TJHall1

Legendary
Welp, didn't amount to shit here except some 40 mph winds and a monsoon of rain. There was a tornado in our county tho. The storm didn't roll into our area until 30-60 mins after sundown, and it was so cloudy that it was pitch black then, so who knows if 1 or many were missed. You could hear the high winds miles off tho that sounded like a distant train mixed with the thunder, but it dissipated and went right around us. I think southern and western iowa got a lot worse tho so hope everyone there and surrounding states are good.

Nayat

Elite
Probably due to
Welp, didn't amount to shit here except some 40 mph winds and a monsoon of rain. There was a tornado in our county tho. The storm didn't roll into our area until 30-60 mins after sundown, and it was so cloudy that it was pitch black then, so who knows if 1 or many were missed. You could hear the high winds miles off tho that sounded like a distant train mixed with the thunder, but it dissipated and went right around us. I think southern and western iowa got a lot worse tho so hope everyone there and surrounding states are good.
Same in Millard Ne except at 430 pm

Nayat

Elite
Good to hear. Any tornadoes spotted out there in that region since it was still daylight?

Also, are you guys getting hit with sleet and ice now?
Yea tornadoes spotted and storms warned all around but the Omadome held strong.

It’s just windy af right now.DF55167F-C05B-4012-8E9A-0717327C7F1A.png

TJHall1

Legendary
Yea tornadoes spotted and storms warned all around but the Omadome held strong.

It’s just windy af right now.View attachment 65244
Gotcha, looked like a bunch of ice coming in a few hours after that initial tornado stuff, so was just wondering. I'm about 3 hours NE of you I believe. Calm as calm could be right now, but 20 miles west they said winds are picking up again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom