Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Please Watch: Memorial Day Tribute Preview

TheGratefulReb

Neanderthal in Chief
Founder
20210527_092202.jpg

This was my grandfather, my PawPaw, Howard. Due to the nature of the internet and keeping my anonymity, I'm going to leave our last name out.....I trust most of you, but there's still some punks out there. If you're interested in watching some video interviews of him regarding his WW2 service, DM me.

Howard enlisted at age 17 in the navy. He participated in the D-Day invasion at Omaha Beach. After completing the invasion, he went to the Pacific where he was involved in various battles including Leyte Gulf (islands of Leyte and Luzon), Iwo Jima, and Okinawa.

He had many stories involving rescue missions, shooting down kamikaze pilots, being on a sinking ship and then having to tread water with sharks around (he never liked to go swimming), amongst others.

He was awarded I believe three purple hearts, but he said he sent the last two back because he already had one.

After the War, Howard went on to be a three sport hall of fame athlete (football, basketball, track) in college. He met my grandmother there at a basketball practice showing off, where he "tried to do a trick shot" and ended up landing in her lap courtside.

He became a high school coach and principal, and during one of his stints in the small town of Drew, MS he remembered a young kid named Archie, who lived a few houses down from him, being really athletic playing ball in the street with the other kids.

PawPaw passed away peacefully in 2019 at the age of 93. I miss him dearly, and he was my personal hero.

Last edited:

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Please watch and subscribe to our YouTube Channel. Much more coming!

If you have a friend or family member that made the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty that you would like to see honored and you have not sent us the info, please DM @JackOfSpeed with the details.

You guys kicked ass with that video. I Hope everyone checks it out. I plan on sending out to a bunch of people today or tomorrow. Trying to figure out the best time so people dont forget about it.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
View attachment 23696

This was my grandfather, my PawPaw, Howard. Due to the nature of the internet and keeping my anonymity, I'm going to leave our last name out.....I trust most of you, but there's still some punks out there. If you're interested in watching some video interviews of him regarding his WW2 service, DM me.

Howard enlisted at age 17 in the navy. He participated in the D-Day invasion at Omaha Beach. After completing the invasion, he went to the Pacific where he was involved in various battles including Leyte Gulf (islands of Leyte and Luzon), Iwo Jima, and Okinawa.

He had many stories involving rescue missions, shooting down kamikaze pilots, being on a sinking ship and then having to tread water with sharks around (he never liked to go swimming), amongst others.

He was awarded I believe three purple hearts, but he said he sent the last two back because he already had one.

After the War, Howard went on to be a three sport hall of fame athlete (football, basketball, track) in college. He met my grandmother there at a basketball practice showing off, where he "tried to do a trick shot" and ended up landing in her lap courtside.

He became a high school coach and principal, and during one of his stints in the small town of Drew, MS he remembered a young kid named Archie, who lived a few houses down from him, being really athletic playing ball in the street with the other kids.

PawPaw passed away peacefully in 2019 at the age of 93. I miss him dearly, and he was my personal hero.

Thanks for sharing. What a great story, sounds like he lived a very full life. Id be interested in hearing his stories.

I remember I had and 8th grade project which required us to interview someone who had served in WWII. I interviewed my Grandfather and still remember his stories to this day. I think we both enjoyed that time together, it was a great idea for a project.

Latest posts

Top Bottom