Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Persons of faith living in the Northeast

SoonerMD09

Elite
Greetings from Texas,

I thought this may be an appropriate place to ask this as I have been contacted about a new position in this area.

It offers to pay 2-4x my salary and could certainly improve my family's well being.

However, as a Presbyterian. I began looking at various churches in the area and many of them seem to be 'affirming' places of worship with celebration of LGBTQ+ in their community.

Please know, as a christian I love all of God's children, but feel a church that celebrates the importance of the nuclear family would better suit me and my family.

Are there churches like this in northern New Jersey or am I out of luck?

Thanks,
SMD

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
Greetings from Texas,

I thought this may be an appropriate place to ask this as I have been contacted about a new position in this area.

It offers to pay 2-4x my salary and could certainly improve my family's well being.

However, as a Presbyterian. I began looking at various churches in the area and many of them seem to be 'affirming' places of worship with celebration of LGBTQ+ in their community.

Please know, as a christian I love all of God's children, but feel a church that celebrates the importance of the nuclear family would better suit me and my family.

Are there churches like this in northern New Jersey or am I out of luck?

Thanks,
SMD
Yeah the Catholic ones

SoonerMD09

Elite
Yeah. I would stay in Texas. You might make 2 to 4 times more but you'll be paying 10xs more.
There has to be a point where things even out though, right?

Also has to be ways to redirect income to limit tax burden as well...

TJHall1

Legendary
Stay in Texas. No fucking way would I move to the northeast with the shit fest going on out there, unless I had my own island to live on.

SoonerMD09

Elite
Stay in Texas. No fucking way would I move to the northeast with the shit fest going on out there, unless I had my own island to live on.
Aren't there red counties up there? Im not talking about the city, I'm taking about where normal people live... like Sussex or ocean county...

This thread definitely has me discouraged.

TopHook

Legendary
Founder
Aren't there red counties up there? Im not talking about the city, I'm taking about where normal people live... like Sussex or ocean county...

This thread definitely has me discouraged.
What's the job?
Just read the end of your post.
Jersey? Oof.

SoonerMD09

Elite
Clinic based physician. No call or weekend coverage.

Procedure driven. Obvious concerns over leaving a tort reform state to NJ in light of this. Base is around 500k with early incentives to 1.5M.

My financial guy was telling me COL increae was 1.56 per 1 dollar here with housing being ridiculous at 2.56 per 1 dollar.

He also tells me that since I am 4 days a week in NJ and 1 day a week in NY, I have to file state income tax for both. Apparently I get a large chunk back from one state, but it's not dollar for dollar...

But if I'm even averaging 700k...should be an upgrade, no?

Faith based community is actually much more important to me than money. I want my sons to be raised in an environment where they are supported and loved.

Last edited:

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Clinic based physician. No call or weekend coverage.

Procedure driven. Obvious concerns over leaving a tort reform state to NJ in light of this. Base is around 500k with early incentives to 1.5M.

My financial guy was telling me COL increae was 1.56 per 1 dollar here with housing being ridiculous at 2.56 per 1 dollar.

But if I'm even averaging 700k...should be an upgrade, no?

Faith based community is actually much more important to me than money. I want my sons to be raised in an environment where they are supported and loved.

Cost of living increase is going to be huge. What’s the difference in taxes? Quality of living (safety, commute time , neighbors etc) Do you have kids? What about public / private schools. Big difference in the weather between those two places.

SoonerMD09

Elite
Cost of living increase is going to be huge. What’s the difference in taxes? Quality of living? Do you have kids? What about public / private schools. Big difference in the weather between those two places.
You aren't wrong. Tax increases will be interesting. Apparently im a contracted employee that's 1099, but parts of my salary can be used to subsidize an LLC to reduce tax burden.

2 boys under 5 and a wife.

Here in Texas I drive everywhere. Generally my commute is 40 min to an hour one way. I hope it won't be worse than this.

Plan to rent first year or 2 until we get the lay of the land. Will assess public v private if we feel like staying in a particular area long term...

Last edited:

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
You aren't wrong. Tax increases will be interesting. Apparently im a contracted employee that's 1099, but parts of my salary can be used to subsidize an LLC to reduce tax burden.

2 boys under 5 and a wife.

Plan to rent first year or 2 until we get the lay of the land. Will assess public v private if we feel like staying in a particular area long term...

I would just say think it out real good. Make sure you weigh all the costs and benefits and realize the money isn’t everything.

If it’s a huge difference, and it sounds like it may be, it may be worth a shot. But make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Last edited:
Top Bottom