Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Old Movies/Westerns

khael-hawk

One of the Main Maniacs for Sure
Founder
Watched A Return to Paradise and The Unforgiven last night

What's next?
I watched Old Henry yesterday. It was really good. Open Range is solid. Guessing you've seen Lonesome Dove? If not, it's pretty much the quintessential Western "must see" mini-series. It's where we got Tommy Lee Jones, who is excellent in it.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is my all time favorite Western.

denn

Legendary
Founder
I prefer the westerns of the 40's, 50's and the beginning part of the 60's over most of the "newer" westerns. As well as some of the western sitcoms. Maverick, Bat Masterson, Rawhide, ect....

Some of the newer westers are good though. I thought the remake of 3:10 to Yuma was excellent. The original was filmed in the 50's.

khael-hawk

One of the Main Maniacs for Sure
Founder
I prefer the westerns of the 40's, 50's and the beginning part of the 60's over most of the "newer" westerns. As well as some of the western sitcoms. Maverick, Bat Masterson, Rawhide, ect....

Some of the newer westers are good though. I thought the remake of 3:10 to Yuma was excellent. The original was filmed in the 50's.
3:10 to Yuma remake was excellent. I have it in my collection.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
3:10 to Yuma remake was excellent. I have it in my collection.

Just watched that one recently for the first time. Pretty good. For me, it's Unforgiven and The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly, then everything else. Open Range is a great one imo, as is Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid. If you like TGTB&TU then check out For a Few Dollars More.

One that ususlly isn't mentioned, though definitely one of the GOAT westerns, is Dances With Wolves.

Cincinattus91

Elite
Founder
Civil War movies as well....always liked Horse Soldiers with the Duke and Shenandoah with Jimmy Stewart

Not a Western but Zulu is tremendous

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Makes me think of Metallica as much as the movie.

I honestly never knew Metallica did this until I was looking it up earlier and saw them pop up. Still haven’t listened and I’ll do that now

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
I honestly never knew Metallica did this until I was looking it up earlier and saw them pop up. Still haven’t listened and I’ll do that now

They play music over the PA before their show. The last song is always AC/DC Long Way to the Top, then they come on stage to Ecstacy of Gold. Fucking awesome, every time. Seen them 3 times, most recently last fall. They still put on a great show.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Love this scene. I think of it often, watching other movies where people talk instead of shoot. When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.

sanction

Legendary
Founder
I watched Old Henry yesterday. It was really good. Open Range is solid. Guessing you've seen Lonesome Dove? If not, it's pretty much the quintessential Western "must see" mini-series. It's where we got Tommy Lee Jones, who is excellent in it.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is my all time favorite Western.
Old Henry is a new western that’s damn good.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Unforgiven builds slow but delivers in the end. You see the transformation of Clint when he gives the evil eye stare at the beginning of the shootout scene.

Yeah, great character development. The entire movie William Munny (Eastwood) is trying not to give in to the evil ways of his younger self. When the whore tells him about Little Bill killing Ned, he snaps. By the time he gets to the saloon that night, he has just about become the devil himself.

The kid ("The Schofield Kid" lmao) starts off pretending to be what he considered a badass. By the end, he understands what it means to take a man's life, and he doesn't want any part of it.

The movie is a slow build, for sure, but it works. The side stuff going on with English Bob & that writer are pretty entertaining too.

GatorOK

Legendary
Founder
Just started watching Hell on Wheels. 4 seasons. So far pretty good.

Netflix has 12 westerns filmed in 12 months. Watched one the other day about a trading outpost that was pretty good.

denn

Legendary
Founder
Just started watching Hell on Wheels. 4 seasons. So far pretty good.

Netflix has 12 westerns filmed in 12 months. Watched one the other day about a trading outpost that was pretty good.
There were some things I didn't see coming in that show. I definitely enjoyed the show.

Latest posts

Top Bottom