Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"of nature and natures God"

The Age of Reason, Thomas Paine, the principal American exponent of Deism, called Christianity “a fable.” Paine, the protégé of Benjamin Franklin, denied “that the Almighty ever did communicate anything to man, by…speech,…language, or…vision.” Postulating a distant deity whom he called “Nature’s God” (a term also used in the Declaration of Independence), Paine declared in a “profession of faith”:
I’d say I’d don’t agree with that. Nature’s God communicates with mankind in a variety of ways in my opinion.

Pineapple

Legendary
Respectfully, that is not true at all. The Jefferson Bible, basically is the bible without the miracles of Jesus. The resurrection for example is not in the Jefferson Bible.
It is true because they are his words. He separated it because of how he processed information. He wasn’t denying Christ, just separating the morals without the miracles. For some, it’s extremely hard to believe “walking on water” is factual. He struggled with it. No question. And, he was a person who dissected others thoughts. That was his attempt here.

I don’t agree with the concept but I don’t see it as heretical.

Pineapple

Legendary
The Age of Reason, Thomas Paine, the principal American exponent of Deism, called Christianity “a fable.” Paine, the protégé of Benjamin Franklin, denied “that the Almighty ever did communicate anything to man, by…speech,…language, or…vision.” Postulating a distant deity whom he called “Nature’s God” (a term also used in the Declaration of Independence), Paine declared in a “profession of faith”:
Thomas Paine believed in God, hoped for an afterlife… and despised organized religion. Why? It’s like you’re forgetting what they came from. What the history of the church was and how it abused people.

Man, I really enjoy your posts. I suspect we are closer than it feels on the interwebz. Would be excellent to get a meal/drinks and discuss.

As to your other post - you don’t offend me at all. But, I appreciate your grace.

Last edited:
Understood..............But this a published work, which explains what Nature's God means. This is not a question of faith...............it is a question about this country.

And what about the protege of a founder, and who was in fact editor of the Declaration of Independence, adding "Natures God", to a document ,knowing full well, the intention of the author, Thomas Paine.............an anti Christian?

Point is.................our country was not founded on Christianity. The verbage, and beliefs of the main architects of our founding documents we not Christians, they worshiped a different deity, and did not believe in the miracles of Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

Pineapple

Legendary
Understood..............But this a published work, which explains what Nature's God means. This is not a question of faith...............it is a question about this country.

And what about the protege of a founder, and who was in fact editor of the Declaration of Independence, adding "Natures God", to a document ,knowing full well, the intention of the author, Thomas Paine.............an anti Christian?

Point is.................our country was not founded on Christianity. The verbage, and beliefs of the main architects of our founding documents we not Christians, they worshiped a different deity, and did not believe in the miracles of Jesus Christ.
Too much evidence to the contrary.

D

Deleted member 2886

Too much evidence to the contrary.
Hey you should know that despite our initial disagreement, I've come to realize my error and also that you're definitely a good person.

Now, regarding the quoted post, and I'm not trying to be antagonistic or disputatious here.

*Is there really "Too much evidence to the contrary."?

Based on all the literature I've read, I must state that I strongly disagree with that quoted statement,...and infact would/will argue the opposite is actually the True reality.

Regardless whether or not choosing to read this, here's a PDF to consider:

Pineapple

Legendary
Hey you should know that despite our initial disagreement, I've come to realize my error and also that you're definitely a good person.

Now, regarding the quoted post, and I'm not trying to be antagonistic or disputatious here.

*Is there really "Too much evidence to the contrary."?

Based on all the literature I've read, I must state that I strongly disagree with that quoted statement,...and infact would/will argue the opposite is actually the True reality.

Regardless whether or not choosing to read this, here's a PDF to consider:

^^^ more than sufficient evidence.

^^^ more than sufficient evidence.
that is not one subject..................the term "of nature and natures God"

understand that I am not saying that ALL the founders were satanic..................i am not saying that the country is not predominately Christian.........................what I am saying is that , that particular quote was written by an atheist, who was the protege of another founder.....and that the author of the quote, denounced Jesus.

Thomas Paine was the author of the quote in question............proven by the post above..............he was not a Christian and in fact denounced Jesus, at the time of his writing. He may or may not have reversed that decision, closer to his death ( a common thing among people when faced with death).

Is that concept so hard to understand? The Age of Reason is a book written by this person, that predates the Declaration. A protege of the Declaration editor.

This is the problem with nationalism and ultra nationalism. Understand, I am a believer in the USA, and what it commonly stands for............but there will be a time when we will have to make a decision. o whether to follow country of god.

Pineapple

Legendary
that is not one subject..................the term "of nature and natures God"

understand that I am not saying that ALL the founders were satanic..................i am not saying that the country is not predominately Christian.........................what I am saying is that , that particular quote was written by an atheist, who was the protege of another founder.....and that the author of the quote, denounced Jesus.

Thomas Paine was the author of the quote in question............proven by the post above..............he was not a Christian and in fact denounced Jesus, at the time of his writing. He may or may not have reversed that decision, closer to his death ( a common thing among people when faced with death).

Is that concept so hard to understand? The Age of Reason is a book written by this person, that predates the Declaration. A protege of the Declaration editor.

This is the problem with nationalism and ultra nationalism. Understand, I am a believer in the USA, and what it commonly stands for............but there will be a time when we will have to make a decision. o whether to follow country of god.
So faced with his own mortality he “may” have accepted Jesus? That would mean everything he wrote before on the subject was? Wrong.

This country was in fact inspired by men of faith. Those men created a document that has guided this nation purposefully towards success. Then, as societies do, society turned their back on the origin story and we get the collapse we seem headed for… I wonder what the common difference in those two groups is? One had faith, overwhelmingly, in Jesus and “created”. The latter has faith in “self” and is destructive.

Again, too much evidence that the majority of people involved believed and hoped and were inspired by The Holy Bible. Compare that with today and you see why we face such destruction.

So faced with his own mortality he “may” have accepted Jesus? That would mean everything he wrote before on the subject was? Wrong.

This country was in fact inspired by men of faith. Those men created a document that has guided this nation purposefully towards success. Then, as societies do, society turned their back on the origin story and we get the collapse we seem headed for… I wonder what the common difference in those two groups is? One had faith, overwhelmingly, in Jesus and “created”. The latter has faith in “self” and is destructive.

Again, too much evidence that the majority of people involved believed and hoped and were inspired by The Holy Bible. Compare that with today and you see why we face such destruction.
Yes he was wrong, and that is the point.

Pineapple

Legendary
ok. but to the "of nature and nature's God" thing, was that written by a Christian?
I’d have to do some research. I don’t have an opinion either way. Like most things I can argue both sides / nature is the secular view of God and so it could very well allude to such - God is sovereign over all and nature moves at His command.

#bothsides

So, being as the author did not believe in Jesus, but God existed, I believe that the contrast in saying "natures God", is within the belief that "mans God" was different than nature's God. Why contrast the two. More specifically Satan being man's god.

Top Bottom