Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Neil Gorsuch votes with the liberals on immigration case

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Need someone to break this down for us, as i don't really understand the issue. I remember just after Gorsuch started his term on the court he had an odd stance on another issue regarding land and Native Americans in Oklahoma or something. I'll see if I can dig up that case.

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
See I'm of the opinion if someone has been here for 30 years, raised a family and not been a criminal let them have a GC. Lying on a driver's license shouldn't be a disqualifier imo

Didn't Gorsuch fuck up Oklahoma or something?

In July 2020, the justices decided by a 5-4 vote that much of eastern Oklahoma remains Native American territory, under the terms of an 1833 treaty between the U.S. government and the Muscogee Creek Nation. This meant that Oklahoma state authorities could no longer prosecute crimes committed by or against Native Americans and that jurisdiction for those crimes, instead, fell to federal and tribal officials. The 2020 decision reversed the state conviction of Jimcy McGirt, an enrolled member of the Seminole Nation of Oklahoma, for sex abuse offenses. The majority opinion, written by Justice Neil Gorsuch, held that Oklahoma didn't have the jurisdiction to convict McGirt.

Top Bottom