Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NAPE, need pepper help

skramer100

Elite
Founder
@Nape, yo I am growing seranno and cayenne here in south Florida. Teach me a bit about mash and hot sauce. We were testing the sides of house for a big garden in the fall and went with peppers in summer. Do I cook them down and then store them? Need help on this one brother.

AmericanViking

Legendary
Founder
@Nape, yo I am growing seranno and cayenne here in south Florida. Teach me a bit about mash and hot sauce. We were testing the sides of house for a big garden in the fall and went with peppers in summer. Do I cook them down and then store them? Need help on this one brother.

This thread has my interest.

IrishStout

Poster
Along with making sauces and whatnot with the fresh peppers, you could consider buying a food dehydrator as well.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
I'll add this in here too.... How tall does a jalapeno plant normally get? mine are tiny but im getting tons of jalapenos and it just doesn't look right its so tiny.

Sparty1045

Elite
Founder
Gonna pump this back up. I have a lot of peppers chilling bro. Need help.
pepper-thy-angus.jpg

Nape

Elite
Founder
You can go a couple of ways. You can dice them up small and sauté with other flavors (garlic, carrot, celery, etc) and then add vinegar and purée. I am not a fan of this kind as it has no depth of flavor. No umami.

I grown the chiles and as soon as they are at peak ripeness I’ll make a mash and ferment them for up to 12 months. I just made a batch in May that fermented since last July. I still have 3 quarts of mash from last year and I’m letting them go for 18mo, 24mo, and the last jar is going for 48mo. The flavor that develops from the fermentation is incredible.

skramer100

Elite
Founder
You can go a couple of ways. You can dice them up small and sauté with other flavors (garlic, carrot, celery, etc) and then add vinegar and purée. I am not a fan of this kind as it has no depth of flavor. No umami.

I grown the chiles and as soon as they are at peak ripeness I’ll make a mash and ferment them for up to 12 months. I just made a batch in May that fermented since last July. I still have 3 quarts of mash from last year and I’m letting them go for 18mo, 24mo, and the last jar is going for 48mo. The flavor that develops from the fermentation is incredible.
With the mash, do you cook them down or just put them in a jar to ferment?

Top Bottom