Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Let's talk ribs

Pillow Pants

Elite
Founder
Pork ribs, that is. I already have a killer recipe, so I'm not asking for that. But I do like to sauce my ribs towards the end of the cook.

So, my question is: what's your favorite sauce for pork ribs? Also, if you identify your ribs as KC style, Memphis style, Texas style, or something else, please disclose.

IrishStout

Poster
Cooked ribs yesterday as a matter of fact.

I prefer St. Louis style ribs to baby backs and cook them using a 2-2-1 method. Instead of using a sauce on mine I will wrap my ribs with some butter, more rub and a little bit of honey.

Once they’ve been wrapped for a couple hours I’ll drain the juices into a small pot, skim the fat, reduce it by 50% and baste the ribs with it during the last hour of cooking.

Hoppo

Elite
Founder
When I'm doing spare or St. Louis ribs, I usually don't sauce them at all. Dry rub, cook at about 275 til done. No wrap, no sauce. Sometimes mop.

With babybacks I do all sorts of things. High heat, low heat, sauce, no sauce. Sometimes char-siu style, sometimes jerk.

Pillow Pants

Elite
Founder
When I'm doing spare or St. Louis ribs, I usually don't sauce them at all. Dry rub, cook at about 275 til done. No wrap, no sauce. Sometimes mop.

With babybacks I do all sorts of things. High heat, low heat, sauce, no sauce. Sometimes char-siu style, sometimes jerk.
I always do baby backs. So, I rub ahead of time, and sauce towards the end.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Describe what you mean by not right.
They were too chewy. They just didn't taste like good ribs that I have eaten before.

I have tried dry rub, and barbecue sauce ..... neither time was i proud of my work.

Do you trim the ribs up before cooking? If so how much?

Hoppo

Elite
Founder
They were too chewy. They just didn't taste like good ribs that I have eaten before.

I have tried dry rub, and barbecue sauce ..... neither time was i proud of my work.

I understand. Generally chewy means undercooked. I usually only trim if I want to have a few pieces of rib tips to munch on while the ribs are cooking (they'll cook more quickly). I do all sorts of different things depending on my mood, so take my methods with a grain of salt. But I do always trim away some of the top fat on the ribs, and remove the silverskin underneath.

It's a matter of patience and waiting out the ribs. You want to see the meat pulling away from the ends of the bones (usually only on one end). You want to be able to slide a toothpick or probe through the ribs with just a small bit of resistance. You should be able to feel the bone loosening in the rib meat if you tug on it a bit. Throw away time and temperature standards for doneness, and instead use visual and tactile cues. Plan on 8 hours for the process at low temps (250, give or take). If it takes less time then wrap them up and keep them in a cooler until you are ready to serve. Then you can adjust your methods from there as you get more comfortable with what you are producing.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an expert by any means, but I've had some good success with ribs and these are the general principles I follow. There are plenty of ways to get it done, and I'm not the type to say one is clearly and objectively better than another. I don't usually like wrapping in foil in the middle of the cook, but 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 is an effective means to a quality end. Just keep experimenting, and don't be afraid of overcooking (better outcome than undercooking). Use these resources too: amazingribs.com and tvwbb.com.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder

I found this website years ago when I got my Weber Smokey Mtn cooker. Tons of great info and recipes. I learned about the minion method with my charcoal, and love using that with butts or any long cook. Basically don't have to mess with the charcoal for 10-12 hours once you light it.

PawPower1981

I love those 👩🏻‍🦰
Founder
I need some help On my ribs cooking. Haven’t gotten them to turn out right yet. Maybe not cooking long enough? will be monitoring thread

i made mine on the smoker for years, but switched to my grill recently. Ribs are much better on the grill than the smoker and take 1/2 time

275 indirect 3hrs

Hoppo

Elite
Founder
i made mine on the smoker for years, but switched to my grill recently. Ribs are much better on the grill than the smoker and take 1/2 time

275 indirect 3hrs
Same. And I started doing higher heat after I got comfortable with low and slow cooks. I go upwards of 300 sometimes. I just try to keep the temps a bit below the threshold where sugar caramelizes (320f).

GamecockDude

Poster
Basic cooking recipe, Cut off membrane, dry them off, put on dry consisting of brown sugar, chili powder, garlic and onion powder, stick in 250 over for 2 1/2 hours. Take out and apply sauce of fav BBQ sauce mixed with honey and brown sugar (my taste), wrap in foil and put back in over for 2 hours at 250. Take out, apply some sauce and slap on grill for 15-30 minutes, low heat, they are already cooked so this is just to add some flavor.

As someone said earlier, cooking ribs is going low heat and taking your time.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Pork ribs, that is. I already have a killer recipe, so I'm not asking for that. But I do like to sauce my ribs towards the end of the cook.

So, my question is: what's your favorite sauce for pork ribs? Also, if you identify your ribs as KC style, Memphis style, Texas style, or something else, please disclose.
For bottles sauce i like johnny Harris red sauce. I doctor it up some but it is an excellent base. Publix has it for sale

Cre8ive

Shaping the Future of Reality
Founder

Let's don't talk ribs - let eat ribs!

Top Bottom