Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

If you get gifted a new Chefs knife, know how to take care of its edge.

Cyberty

Elite
Founder
Most accidental cuts Happen with a dull knife. Because you add extra pressure with the knife hand.

So keep it sharp. This takes just abit of maintenance every time you use it. If you don’t do this maintenance, then you will lose the edge and have to sharpen the blade with a sharpening stone that grinds material away.

Maintenance:

Before every use of the knife, run it on the sharpening steel. (If you don’t have one, buy one made by the same company that made the knife.)

You need to do this every time you use the knife.

You also need to pay attention to the style of knife you have. A Santoku blade needs a different angle on the steel then a chefs knife .

https://www.myrecipes.com/how-to/video/using-sharpening-steel

Hand wash the knife.

TheNJNole

Elite
Founder
Most accidental cuts Happen with a dull knife. Because you add extra pressure with the knife hand.

So keep it sharp. This takes just abit of maintenance every time you use it. If you don’t do this maintenance, then you will lose the edge and have to sharpen the blade with a sharpening stone that grinds material away.

Maintenance:

Before every use of the knife, run it on the sharpening steel. (If you don’t have one, buy one made by the same company that made the knife.)

You also need to pay attention to the style of knife you have. A Santoku blade needs a different angle on the steel then a chefs knife .

Hand wash the knife.
Knife skills are life skills......

Dull knives are dangerous.

BurntJ

B2B Champ/ Feels Great to be King!
Founder

Maintenance:

Hand wash the knife.

From thread title....I was expecting advice like repetitively stabbing a liberal to care for the edge of the blade....

sanction

Legendary
Founder
Who the Hell sharpens a knife every time they use it?

I have Wusthofs and sharpen 2 or 3 times per year.

Cyberty

Elite
Founder
Who the Hell sharpens a knife every time they use it?

I have Wusthofs and sharpen 2 or 3 times per year.
A steel doesn’t remove material from the blade like a whetstone. It aligns the microscopic teeth on the cutting edge. A knife dulls by these teeth wearing down and therefore material has to be removed to create new teeth.

if you rub your fingernail across the steel you will feel grooves that run along the length of the steel. When you use a steel, these grooves realign the teeth. The blade cuts better.

If you maintain the blade as recommended above with the steel, you will only have to sharpen the knife on a whetstone every couple of years.

TJHall1

Legendary
I sharpen my pocket knife a lot but the chefs don’t seem to need it.
Well my block of knives are probably 60 years old. Used to be my grandparents. So i use the sharpening rod every time for about 5-10 seconds to keep the chef sharp.

sanction

Legendary
Founder
Well my block of knives are probably 60 years old. Used to be my grandparents. So i use the sharpening rod every time for about 5-10 seconds to keep the chef sharp.
I recently got a work sharp knife sharpener.

It does a really good job.

QuanChi

Elite

Maintenance:

Hand wash the knife.
Appreciate the post. I feel guilty about how I’ve treated my knives

Cyberty

Elite
Founder
Appreciate the post. I feel guilty about how I’ve treated my knives
A steel won’t sharpen a dull knife. It only keeps a sharp knife sharp.

If your knife is dull, then you will need to sharpen it with a whetstone to remove material and create a new edge.

This is what I use:

https://smithsproducts.com/50595

The kit will insure that you sharpen at the perfect consistent angle on the length of the blade.

Once it is sharpened, use the steel to align the teeth of the blade before first use. Make sure you blade angle on the steel matches the angle used in sharpening. You will notice a declining resistance on the steel that indicates the teeth aligning.

TJHall1

Legendary
I recently got a work sharp knife sharpener.

It does a really good job.
I used a friend's sharpener 4 or 5 years ago, and ever since ive only used the rod in the block. I read that the rod basically just straightens the curve back out on the edge and "resharpens" it, so if you're not beating the edge up it'll be many years before it needs a knife sharpener again.

I'll have to look and see what brand they are. They're well made.

Cyberty

Elite
Founder
Just looked:
great blades carvel hall molybdenum steel knives since 1895
Great knifes. Chrome Molly steel. Harder than stainless steel but just as resistant to rust/oxidation. Holds their edge. But sharpen them on a whetstone and then use a steel on them. You will thank me later.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
I bought a benchmade knife a couple years ago and it arrived so dull it probably would struggle with butter. Ridiculous for a hundred-plus dollar knife. I am decent with a whetstone but never had a blade made of these new super steels. Holy shit, I can't get a good edge on that thing to save my life. Fuck M390.

Cyberty

Elite
Founder
My local sushi chef sharpens his knife with a honing rod a few times every night.
A honing rod is different than a steel. A honing rod is ceramic or diamond coated. It should only be used on the hardest steel knifes. Japanese steel knifes are harder than German steel. So a sushi chef would always use a honing rod.

I mentioned in my original post that you want to have a steel that is made by the knife maker. This insures that the steel is harder than the blade. Very important.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder

Maintenance:

Hand wash the knife.
All correct. I got a set of ceramic knives as a present when I got my house. They work well and are low maintenance. Maybe Emeril made then I'm not sure and I'm laying in bed and not gonna look

Latest posts

Top Bottom