Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

I just bought 2 more 3d printers

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
You said you weren't sure what your favorite thing you have printed is, but you made lots of stuff you use regularly. Examples? I have just never thought much about 3d printing, and don't have much of an idea what you would even use one for...at least not your average Joe.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
You said you weren't sure what your favorite thing you have printed is, but you made lots of stuff you use regularly. Examples? I have just never thought much about 3d printing, and don't have much of an idea what you would even use one for...at least not your average Joe.

One reason i have in mind ... I have a bed-swing on my porch and the ropes that hang it stretch over time. So the bed leans from back to front because most people sit towards the front section of the swing. Anyway, I could fix it by placing a couple of plastic spacers around the rope (tying a knot to shorten won't work).

Thinking it may be a good tool around the house?

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
One reason i have in mind ... I have a bed-swing on my porch and the ropes that hang it stretch over time. So the bed leans from back to front because most people sit towards the front section of the swing. Anyway, I could fix it by placing a couple of plastic spacers around the rope (tying a knot to shorten won't work).

Thinking it may be a good tool around the house?

Seems like that would work, but also just some cheap washers or a number of other things would do the trick. Small, boring, plastic parts make sense. I saw a video with Jay Leno recently and he printed a plastic knob for the A/C in an old car. I guess I want to know how to have fun with a 3d printer. Guns, obviously, but what else?

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Seems like that would work, but also just some cheap washers or a number of other things would do the trick. Small, boring, plastic parts make sense. I saw a video with Jay Leno recently and he printed a plastic knob for the A/C in an old car. I guess I want to know how to have fun with a 3d printer. Guns, obviously, but what else?

Good questions. @JerBearr prints stuff as a side business i think?

Will let you know if we stumble on any good uses.

JerBearr

I have a side business and I sell custom mods for a fully autonomous cat litter box. I have many other things I plan to sell, but have not had the ability to expand my business, which is why I ordered these. Once I get these built and have the time to expand I will be offering quite a bit. Modern Art is a hot commodity on etsy, and I plan to design lots of modern art to hang on my house (I have a modern theme across my house) and once I have prototypes printed for my house I will offer them on etsy. That shit sells for BIG money. Depending on the art could go for over $250 per unit. I need to find it in an old post of mine, but I've posted a lot of the practical stuff I've made for myself. When I get time to look for it, I will paste the contents onto this thread! As @ChicagoFats mentioned though, custom sized spacers are very good. Sometimes it's nicer to have 1 custom spacers than 15 washers. I have done this to level my sound bar mounted on the wall.

JerBearr

What do one of them cost and how much are supplies?
Depends on the printer size you want/need and the quality. I print guns on an Ender 6 which is $550. It can technically be done on an Ender 3/3 Pro/3 V2, but I dont want to printer high pressure parts on a cheaper printer that needs to be fully calibrated perfectly. Supplies cost about $20 for a 1kg roll of filament and will last the general person a VERY long time. I go through 1kg in a few days because of my side business printing parts.

JerBearr

You can find my original comment here. I might have other interesting info on this thread...I don't remember lol https://crootn.com/index.php?thread...-or-i-swear-its-a-buffer-tube.3416/post-85520
I am without a doubt more of a "function print" kind of person. I love designing models in CAD, so there are things I will model and decide need to be reworked. Look at this thread and you'll see the custom cabinet locks I made so my cat cannot open my kitchen cabinets anymore. This thread shows the FGC-9 I am creating. This part of FSF is where we will be updating the FSF 3D printed collectibles, figures, merch, etc...

As for things I've designed myself:
  • Custom Cabinet Locks
  • Custom Computer Desk Grommets
  • Custom Stand for Gaming Headset
  • Custom Camera Mount for 3D Printer to Monitor Prints Remotely
  • Custom Dash Camera Mount for BMW Z4
  • 3D Printed Modern Hexagonal Wall Art
  • Custom Sized Spacers
  • Cat Genie Mod 1
  • Cat Genie Mod 2
  • Cat Genie Mod 3
  • Cat Genie Mod 4
  • Cat Genie Mod 5
  • Cat Genie Mod 6 (Not For Sale Yet)
  • FGC-9 9mm Carbine
  • etc.. etc..
I just make things I find interesting. I'm sure Im forgetting quite a bit. I have some large scale projects I intend to work on as well. I'm going to make molds for carbon fiber trim panels for my car. Im going to replicate the 1960s PEZ Shooter. I have more ideas for modern art (home decor). Im sure Im forgetting things as well. A lot of projects just take time because much of what I do is fully custom designed by me so it takes design iteration.

Latest posts

Top Bottom