Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

I heard that a judge said DeSantis can't ban mask mandates....

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
But other governors can ban you from going out without a mask....???? WTF man!.... Lets just start the civil war at this point. We can't keep going like this. Its like a marriage where both parties know its over and they just keep trying to make life a living hell for the other party. Eventually one of them will burn the house down with other dead inside. Lets at least try to save the house and let the best man win.

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder
But other governors can ban you from going out without a mask....???? WTF man!.... Lets just start the civil war at this point. We can't keep going like this. Its like a marriage where both parties know its over and they just keep trying to make life a living hell for the other party. Eventually one of them will burn the house down with other dead inside. Lets at least try to save the house and let the best man win.
It was a Florida judge so y’all are going to have to figure this one out yoreselves.

BigBucnNole

Elite

Relax. It’s called judge shopping. DeSantis’ folks know it and they can rile up some fund raising.

Cre8ive

Shaping the Future of Reality
Founder
Each day we live with tyrannical mandates delivered in then name of "Because I said so!

ch13ba

Poster
I think DeSantis is wrong on this and I also think he needs to be more careful. A decision on whether or not a school district wears masks should be made locally. What he’s doing is in the same vein as the repeated overreach that we’ve witnessed from so many Democrats over the last two years.

Local decision making is what we should all be pushing for. The federal government has outgrown its usefulness and has diminished states rights dating back to the civil war. States need to reclaim their rights from the federal government and local municipalities need to be granted more authority. The smaller the unit of government, the more efficient they are with $ and the more responsive they are to their constituents.

t_money86

Legendary
Founder
I think DeSantis is wrong on this and I also think he needs to be more careful. A decision on whether or not a school district wears masks should be made locally. What he’s doing is in the same vein as the repeated overreach that we’ve witnessed from so many Democrats over the last two years.

Local decision making is what we should all be pushing for. The federal government has outgrown its usefulness and has diminished states rights dating back to the civil war. States need to reclaim their rights from the federal government and local municipalities need to be granted more authority. The smaller the unit of government, the more efficient they are with $ and the more responsive they are to their constituents.
LOL...so it is ok for the locales to overreach with demanding mandates but it isn't ok for the Governor to tell Local govs they cannot FORCE their will on people? He is absolutely RIGHT in saying it is up to the parents. He isn't saying kids CAN'T wear masks. He is saying schools and local gov'ts cannot FORCE this bullshit on you.

America 1st

Founder

It’s gonna be interesting to see if he wins the appeal.

You’d think the state legislature would pass a law doing what he wants if it were broadly popular in the state?

Viking

Legendary
Founder
Masks don't work and they are fucking oppressing. Plus masks don't work and they make kids sick. Plus masks don't work. Ah, fuck it. people want to poison their bodies let them, but what about the kids? The adults in this country have left the room and dumb asses have taken over. Masks don't work! SKOL!

ch13ba

Poster
LOL...so it is ok for the locales to overreach with demanding mandates but it isn't ok for the Governor to tell Local govs they cannot FORCE their will on people? He is absolutely RIGHT in saying it is up to the parents. He isn't saying kids CAN'T wear masks. He is saying schools and local gov'ts cannot FORCE this bullshit on you.
I don’t know, I live in Michigan and literally every mandate that’s been shoved down our throats over the past 18 months have come from state or federal government.

If the decisions are made locally than it’s far more likely that the will of the people will be served. If you don’t like how you’re school district is being run it’s a lot easier to transfer your kids out to the next town over than it is to pack up and relocate to another state…or country even.

But I will also add there is a clear distinction between banning masks being worn and banning the ability of local jurisdictions to implement it. I think that’s a distinction that oftentimes gets lost in the details…and I’m probably guilty of it to some degree in this thread. Your point is well taken.

BurntJ

B2B Champ/ Feels Great to be King!
Founder
I don’t know, I live in Michigan and literally every mandate that’s been shoved down our throats over the past 18 months have come from state or federal government.

If the decisions are made locally than it’s far more likely that the will of the people will be served. If you don’t like how you’re school district is being run it’s a lot easier to transfer your kids out to the next town over than it is to pack up and relocate to another state…or country even.

But I will also add there is a clear distinction between banning masks being worn and banning the ability of local jurisdictions to implement it. I think that’s a distinction that oftentimes gets lost in the details…and I’m probably guilty of it to some degree in this thread. Your point is well taken.
Thanks for admitting this.

steve-buscemi-list.gif

Woodnole

Poster
Founder

There is a difference between a law or mandate that forces someone to do something and one that prevents another governmental entity from making people do something.

The Florida Constitution, unlike the US Constitution, contains an express right to privacy. (I’ll stay away from Roe here). Our Courts refer to this a a right to be let alone. Laws and mandates which implicate the right to privacy are reviewed very strictly in Florida. The governmental entity seeking to impose such a law has the burden of showing that there is
a compelling state interest and there was no less intrusive method of accomplishing the objective.

The appeal by the State will next go to the 1st DCA which recently reversed a ruling by an Alachua County judge who upheld a county-wide mandate requiring masks. (Green v. Alachua County). The Judge that wrote the appellate opinion quoted another FSC opinion which stated: “even in a pandemic, the Constitution cannot be put away and forgotten.” He then wrote “And there is this warning from William Pitt the Younger, roughly paraphrasing a similar sentiment in John Milton’s Paradise Lost: “Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.”

The short version is that Florida recognizes a right to be let alone and if any governmental entity, such as a school board, wants to make people do something with or to their bodies, they better have their ducks in a row and be ready to prove their way is the only way to accomplish the goal. Our appellate courts are on to the old “it’s necessary to protect you - it’s for your own good bit”. (Our trial courts are a different matter).

Not saying I know how this will turn out, but the trial court ruling is not surprising and the issue is far from over.

ch13ba

Poster
I'm sorry
Sure, but Michigan’s a great example for what I’m talking about because there about 68 red counties in this state and maybe 7 blue ones. Yet those 7 blue ones are sometimes enough to get a governor elected.

I live in a blood-red township in a red county; if we had more local decision making here this pandemic would’ve been over a year ago.

But instead we’ve consolidated power to the state for the sake of efficiency…that went over without incident until we got a power hungry lib willing to leverage a pandemic to lock down an entire state…and now is using one of her unelected appointee bureaucrat’s to impose shit in her stead after the courts took away her power. So here we are.

BurntJ

B2B Champ/ Feels Great to be King!
Founder
Sure, but Michigan’s a great example for what I’m talking about because there about 68 red counties in this state and maybe 7 blue ones. Yet those 7 blue ones are sometimes enough to get a governor elected.

I live in a blood-red township in a red county; if we had more local decision making here this pandemic would’ve been over a year ago.

But instead we’ve consolidated power to the state for the sake of efficiency…that went over without incident until we got a power hungry lib willing to leverage a pandemic to lock down an entire state…and now is using one of her unelected appointee bureaucrat’s to impose shit in her stead after the courts took away her power. So here we are.
whitecastle-pookie.gif

Should have happened a long time ago in Michigan. Hell its time here in GA.....but I feel like we are holding of for the 2nd civil war. (Were playing 7D underwater chess here....) Once the 2nd begins, we will burn Atl. ourselves! Checkmate faggits!

t_money86

Legendary
Founder

Yes but difference is as has been pointed out, one is mandating totalitarian rule while the other is stopping government overreach. And those 7 counties more than likely don't elect libs, but they've had the system rigged for a long time and people just accept it with no pushback.

Long Cat V2.0

Legendary

The only thing prevented by the governor’s order is the local governments mandating something against a citizen’s will. Anybody who wants to wear a mask can.

also let me tell you how it works in my county. We elect a school board. The school board hires a superintendent (actually they offered the job to a white guy who has been a teacher and assistant super in other Florida counties, then rescinded the offer specifically to hire a black person, and the black person they chose was a lawyer for the school system with no education experience ). Then the elected school board held a vote and decided not to implement a mask mandate for schools. Two days later, and right after the window to enroll in virtual school closed, the unelected superintendent took it upon herself to issue a mask mandate. Thanks to the governors order there is an opt out option for parents.

when we had a county wide mask mandate last year, it was isssued by the county emergency manager, another unelected bureaucrat. His qualifications consist of being a former fire fighter.

The governor’s actions are protecting the freedom of Floridians and specifically the freedom of parents.

MAGAMAYNE

Poster
Hell yeah it's time to go to war! I'm right behind you all the way on this!!

Hoppo

Elite
Founder

States have plenary powers over policy. You may “think” DeSantis is wrong, but the law suggests otherwise. It is his job to protect the citizens from government overreach. “It’s local politics” is not a loophole for shitting on the people.

ch13ba

Poster
States have plenary powers over policy. You may “think” DeSantis is wrong, but the law suggests otherwise. It is his job to protect the citizens from government overreach. “It’s local politics” is not a loophole for shitting on the people.
Let me clarify…DeSantis is fine. I was wrong. Banning mandates isn’t the same thing as banning masks. I took the bait from a lib friend of mine without doing any research on it. Stupid thing to do, I know. I should’ve known better before posting.

skramer100

Elite
Founder

We have reacted locally. Parkland has overwhelming asked for no mandates, but leftist Broward wants the power simply because it’s against what DeSantis wants. These same people were against the vax when trump was pushing it. How local you need to get.

mrt

Elite
It was a Florida judge so y’all are going to have to figure this one out yoreselves.
And a lowly circuit court judge at that. No need to say he votes Marxist and apparently has a desire to be President, or a governor without an election. He is getting ready to get bitch slapped by a real court. When it starts the first should be the teachers union disbanded and banned.

America 1st

Founder
Does Florida require the standard vaccinations for enrollment in public schools?

Will Florida pass a law forbidding schools districts from adding the China virus jab to that list or will Ron just try another executive order for that?

The School Board here in Volusia County voted to make masks mandatory starting next Tuesday. If kids don't show up to school with a mask they will be offered one. and they don't wear the mask they will be sent home. Parents are already bitching about it all over social media. It's going to be a long school year.

OrangenBlue98

Elite
Founder

JFC dude, if the parents want THEIR kid to be bubble boy, then by all means.. go ahead. Some local overreaching idiot should never be able to muzzle up my kid. THAT is what DeSantis is working on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom