Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hush puppies

TopHook

Legendary
Founder
Where does that name originate from. A lot of speculation around the name.

TopHook

Legendary
Founder
Ya’ll think it wasn’t worth a try? Some hounds can be fooled...
It has also been proven to be a myth.

TJHall1

Legendary
It has also been proven to be a myth.

So you already knew the answer? Sweet thread.

TopHook

Legendary
Founder
I didn't read any of whatever you linked, could you reveal how it was proven to be a myth?
It doesn't either its all opinions. I'd like to know if there any new ones or if somebody grand-mamy gave them a reason.

TJHall1

Legendary
In the South, the Salamander was often known as a “water dog” or “water puppy.” These were deep-fried with cornmeal and formed into sticks. It is said they were called hushpuppies because eating such lowly food was not something a southern wife would want known to her neighbors

TopHook

Legendary
Founder
In the South, the Salamander was often known as a “water dog” or “water puppy.” These were deep-fried with cornmeal and formed into sticks. It is said they were called hushpuppies because eating such lowly food was not something a southern wife would want known to her neighbors
Yeah the articles are very condescending. So I doubt any of them know anything. Mommas got some old cook books I'll look through the. I bet gullah has a say in it.

BamaRidger

Legendary
Founder
Pretty sure it was cowboys on cattle drives who came up with the term. They would throw them to their dogs to get them to shut the hell up so they could sleep.

TJHall1

Legendary
It was an African cook in Atlanta who gave it to a dog while she was cooking and said hush puppy.
I think she was friends with the cowboys and the slaves, tho, so we figured it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom