Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Home repair / renovation thread

Depends on the spot, is it's water stain? Need to put kilz on our first and that's for ceiling tile not texture blown ceiling I think. They make some specifically for popcorn ceiling. Your best bet is take a picture and go to Sherwin Williams and get them to hook you up
It’s a water stain with no concern for more water. Still need kilz? I think I’m just gonna get regular ceiling paint

Jtrain80

Legendary
A/c needed a new capacitor (sp?) this morning. 🙄

Damn guy charged me 285 for 15 min worth of work including writing up the bill. Found out it was a $12 part.

I now change out the capacitors before I call them. When I first moved to my current house, I had to Google the part numbers to figure out which one it was, but it fucking worked!

PleasureMoose

Legendary
Damn guy charged me 285 for 15 min worth of work including writing up the bill. Found out it was a $12 part.

I now change out the capacitors before I call them. When I first moved to my current house, I had to Google the part numbers to figure out which one it was, but it fucking worked!
Yeah depending on your tonnage it's usually a 35/5/440 dual cap

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
You already called someone for your upstairs unit? Go ahead and turn it off at the thermostat.. you got easy access to your air handler upstairs? The indoor coil is probably frozen solid.. it's needs to thaw out
No I haven’t called someone. I shut it off last night and tried to bring it up this morning. I thought it was blowing cool, but had to leave. Wife said she thinks it’s not blowing cool now though

D

Deleted member 2886

Taking the day to do some maintenance

Has anyone used this spray or something like it to cover up spots on the ceiling?

Amazon product ASIN B000RMT82M
How'd ya get on?

I've never used the spray version of Zinnser, not sure how it compares to, or if it's the same as, the regular tins of Zinnser BIN sealer-(*Which is bloody excellent shit, and I'd highly recommend for what you've described.)

One common issue with spraying is that it can often fail to establish complete coverage.
(*In this case, possibly failing to properly seal the stain entirely which may lead to specks of bleed through during or subsequent of applying water based top coats.)

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
No I haven’t called someone. I shut it off last night and tried to bring it up this morning. I thought it was blowing cool, but had to leave. Wife said she thinks it’s not blowing cool now though
If it blows inside and fan is running on the unit outside but not blowing cold it's usually the capacitor bad and not starting the compressor. That of yore fucked and the compressor is bad or freon has leaked out.

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
It ended up being a capacitor thank goodness
Pro tip keep the old one and order one from trhe interwebz, they are easy to swap just make sure to expand it's charge with a good screw driver by touching the two prongs at the same time with a screw driver. (it makes a loud pop)

A tech will charge you $200 min to come out and swap it and that's if it is not a weekend.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Pro tip keep the old one and order one from trhe interwebz, they are easy to swap just make sure to expand it's charge with a good screw driver by touching the two prongs at the same time with a screw driver. (it makes a loud pop)

A tech will charge you $200 min to come out and swap it and that's if it is not a weekend.
We paid a guy $170 Monday. He got out there the next day from when we talked to him. Worth it considering how bad it could have been

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
I fixed a shutter today that was peelin off the house because some of the boards were rotting. Replaced the bottom two horizontal boards on the left shutter. Cut and painted them.

All my shutters are gonna need to be replaced at some point, but hopefully that buys me another year

3116031B-DAD4-4D86-ABEF-B1EAEB9BD0AA.jpeg

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
I’m fucking tired. Spent basically the last three weekends moving servers from the forum office into my house. Had to rework my network and reorganize all my shit, but finally got done.

New server closet. I’m gonna need an hvac guy to come add a vent in there to keep it cool. Any ideas? It’s second floor so everything is in the attic. Another vent not far away so I might could do it myself

F7C776D3-88F2-406D-A6D1-BB3D37F8106D.jpeg

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Progression of my office last couple weeks

Got everything moved from the old office to my house last couple weekends

D8188EF5-F55B-4E79-B5B0-A197732BEF14.jpeg

Moved everything out of the closet in there so I could move the server in

0DCA6871-93D6-4184-9FC4-83AEFEDCCEB5.jpeg

Had to rewire my network from downstairs to upstairs so I had to run a ton of Ethernet, but I got the server closet nice and neat

3FC8C82C-BDC5-4EEF-92B6-2DF60BA3A16C.jpeg

Cleaned up the office today

E3D23143-C88D-4400-B5DD-48ACB1B96EA3.jpeg

I moved those two stand up desks with monitors from the old office on the right. Also on the back right wall are the trademark/copyrights we own for the forum and the tree logo.

Top Bottom