Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Have PCs really changed much in the last 10 years?

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Outside of GPUs it really doesn’t seem like PCs have changed much. Of course the HDD to SSD switch over was significant, but you can very easily swap in an SSD if you need one.

I was messing around with a computer from 2013 and it runs perfectly fine. 8 GB ram, 256 GB SSD, 2.4 GHz CPU. What could a current (non-gaming) computer offer me that that the old one doesn’t already?

@Cyberty

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
Ehh processors have come a long way with multi cores and hyperthreading i thinks it more about software hasn't changed much.

Most of what we do now is all web based and not fat client applications anymore mostly due to increase in internet speeds. So a lot of the processing is done by other machines you just have a window into the Internet now.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Ehh processors have come a long way with multi cores and hyperthreading i thinks it more about software hasn't changed much.

Most of what we do now is all web based and not fat client applications anymore mostly due to increase in internet speeds. So a lot of the processing is done by other machines you just have a window into the Internet now.
But from a personal computing perspective the cores and hyperthreading don’t bring any real value

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
But from a personal computing perspective the cores and hyperthreading don’t bring any real value
That's what I'm saying the processing has moved off of the personal computer and moved to the cloud so PC's have not needed major upgrades.

Data center technology has made huge strides but it's not stuff most people see.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
My work computer is 5 years old and works just fine. I bought it souped up so it was a nice computer at the time and it’s probably an average computer now.

The servers we connect to are much more powerful for far less money, but those aren’t PC’s.

So I think computing power has gained a lot in the past 10 years, but not necessarily evident in the personal computer.

Cyberty

Elite
Founder
Processing speed needed is based on the software running on said processors.

Operating system software is bloated and needs both processing speed and RAM to just run. Then the program Or game you need to run to accomplish a task are just added onto the existing overhead of the operating system.

That system you have must be running an old version of windows Or an alternate operating system. Old operating system won’t run new programs and they have security flaws and are no longer can get operating system updates.

What are you running on it?

@Croot_Overlord

Last edited:

Cyberty

Elite
Founder
@Croot_Overlord

What OS you running on that old system?

What do you need to run on that system?

If you want to you can experiment with “Lean” operating systems on it.

Google Chrome has one.

There is also a MS windows 10 lean.

Or you can choose one of the many Linux choices.

I have an older computer that I might play with the Linux stuff. But I have a lot of things I would like to do.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
@Croot_Overlord

What OS you running on that old system?

What do you need to run on that system?

If you want to you can experiment with “Lean” operating systems on it.

Google Chrome has one.

There is also a MS windows 10 lean.

Or you can choose one of the many Linux choices.

I have an older computer that I might play with the Linux stuff. But I have a lot of things I would like to do.
Shit I had meant to get back to your last message and must have gotten distracted. It was just an old laptop that had one of the original installation of Windows 10 (I imagine it was originally Windows 7 due to computer age) .

It had been sitting on the shelf for a few years and I opened it up and started messing with it and I couldn't really tell a tangible difference between it and my work computer

I've messed around with Linux off and on through the years, Ubuntu and Mint. Whenever I have a computer that I feel is on its last legs I put Linux on there and it freshens it up a bit. If you ever want a nice challenge, try to install Linux on an Acer laptop. Acer intentionally makes it difficult to install a new OS, and when I figured it out I felt like I had achieved something

Cyberty

Elite
Founder
Shit I had meant to get back to your last message and must have gotten distracted. It was just an old laptop that had one of the original installation of Windows 10 (I imagine it was originally Windows 7 due to computer age) .

It had been sitting on the shelf for a few years and I opened it up and started messing with it and I couldn't really tell a tangible difference between it and my work computer

I've messed around with Linux off and on through the years, Ubuntu and Mint. Whenever I have a computer that I feel is on its last legs I put Linux on there and it freshens it up a bit. If you ever want a nice challenge, try to install Linux on an Acer laptop. Acer intentionally makes it difficult to install a new OS, and when I figured it out I felt like I had achieved something
Well you convinced me not to try. I only use Acer mb on home built systems or replacement.

Emma tenywa

Elite
Outside of GPUs it really doesn’t seem like PCs have changed much. Of course the HDD to SSD switch over was significant, but you can very easily swap in an SSD if you need one.

I was messing around with a computer from 2013 and it runs perfectly fine. 8 GB ram, 256 GB SSD, 2.4 GHz CPU. What could a current (non-gaming) computer offer me that that the old one doesn’t already?

@Cyberty
I've seen PC's here from 2003 running perfectly fine and on windows Vista

Latest posts

Top Bottom