Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Has anyone else had their driving skills ruined by automatic lane centering?

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder
I've got automatic lane keeping/ centering on my car. Whenever I get into a car without it now, I'm just swerving back and forth in the lane. Probably looks like I'm a drunk driver. Similar experience with adaptable cruise control.

I feel that the new generation is going to be ruined when it comes to driving "non smart" vehicles

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
I've got automatic lane keeping/ centering on my car. Whenever I get into a car without it now, I'm just swerving back and forth in the lane. Probably looks like I'm a drunk driver. Similar experience with adaptable cruise control.

I feel that the new generation is going to be ruined when it comes to driving "non smart" vehicles
My car is 2018 so it has lane keeping. But not centering. Left to it’s own devices it will swerve back and for the between the centerline and the edge. Basically it’s not good enough yet.

The adaptive cruise control is a great feature but most of the time it’s disrupts the flow of traffic by following the car in front a little too far behind.

So for now I don’t use the features and like driving myself. Not sure, maybe I need to stop being a poor and upgrade to a newer car where the features work better.

why do you swerve between the lanes?

MVTPatriot

Elite
Founder
I turn that shit off. My company car has it(2020). It still beeps but it doesn't self-correct.

When I get rentals, sometimes it's locked and you can't disable. Drives me nuts.

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder
Had it in a rental car this year and it constantly pissed me off... I'd go to change lanes (don't always use my turn signal) and it would fight against me. Pretty stupid technology IYAM
Greatly depends on the vehicle from what I've found.

Tesla's is basically autopilot

Toyota is meh at this point.

Hyundai's is pretty good

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder
My car is 2018 so it has lane keeping. But not centering. Left to it’s own devices it will swerve back and for the between the centerline and the edge. Basically it’s not good enough yet.

The adaptive cruise control is a great feature but most of the time it’s disrupts the flow of traffic by following the car in front a little too far behind.

So for now I don’t use the features and like driving myself. Not sure, maybe I need to stop being a poor and upgrade to a newer car where the features work better.
Yeah Lane Centering would have been the appropriate work to use here

Because I'm used to driving a car with lane centering
Well I am sorry to say.......that i think YOU have been ruined if you can drive a car and keep it between the lines.

How old are you?

Are you one of those who text and read emails and such while driving?

Tech like that should not exist, they are enablers to bad and improper behavior.

Last edited:

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder
Well I am sorry to say.......that i think YOU have been ruined if you can drive a car and keep it between the lines.

How old are you?

Are you one of those who text and read emails and such while driving?

Tech like that should not exist, they are enablers to bad and improper behavior.
I’m on TFSF my whole commute

BTAvenger

Elite
My wife has a newer car that has all the lane centering, lane assist bullshit. When i drive it on highways I feel like it’s cheating. I have driven a lot with it with my 16-year-old as he has learned to drive. We take it on long trips to basketball tournaments because it gets better mileage than my big ass SUV. I put cruise control on and I don’t have to drive anymore for the most part. It speeds up and slows down for you as you get close to traffic and keeps you in the lanes. I told him that it’s for entitled, lazy, soft drivers who don’t want to do any work themselves. That you don’t learn to drive when using cars like this. So whenever he drives it I refuse to allow him to use cruise control or lane assist.

Alpha_Cock

A Real A Hole
Founder
The adaptive cruise control on our newish Yukon is a tricky little fucker. You set it for 79, but it starts gently slowing down150 ft from a truck you are approaching. So, if you aren't constantly paying attention to keep you speed constant, you will be 50 feet from the truck going 55 mph for your entire trip regardless if you have it set for 79.

Cre8ive

Shaping the Future of Reality
Founder

My chauffeur doesn't ever turn it on. I sit and relax with a dry martini and throw fentanyl tablets into the homeless camps that line my downtown streets. I call it thinning out the herd.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Great song. Never heard this version before. Incredible performance.
I'm obsessed with 21 pilots. And then I found out a few months ago they are the sensation for teenage girls.. ZFG

Here are a couple more they have done different versions of their stuff

Top Bottom