Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Gross — That bites! 8 in 10 delivery workers admit to eating a customer’s food

D

Deleted member 2886

I could just look this up, but I'd rather help ya get the thread going.

What is the deal with "tips"?

#From all the US tv & movies I was brought up on, pretty sure you guys do the same thing aye?

Edgehollow

Elite
Founder
I could just look this up, but I'd rather help ya get the thread going.

What is the deal with "tips"?

#From all the US tv & movies I was brought up on, pretty sure you guys do the same thing aye?
It was originally an acronym for "To Insure Proper Service". In the US, service industry workers aren't paid minimum wage. Servers make like 2.20 an hour "plus tips". A good server can make a boat load in tips, and it's mostly in cash (well used to be, the normalization of using credit cards has put a pinch on that I'd guess). Tipping is the way to reward your server for good service (or punish them for bad service).

Even if I get shitty service, I tip decent (10-15%, I'll go 20-25% for good service) . I have a fear of bodily fluids ending up in my food/drink because the server remember I tipped this shitty last time I was in.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
D

Deleted member 2886

It was originally an acronym for "To Insure Proper Service". In the US, service industry workers aren't paid minimum wage. Servers make like 2.20 an hour "plus tips". A good server can make a boat load in tips, and it's mostly in cash (well used to be, the normalization of using credit cards has put a pinch on that I'd guess). Tipping is the way to reward your server for good service (or punish them for bad service).

Even if I get shitty service, I tip decent (10-15%, I'll go 20-25% for good service) . I have a fear of bodily fluids ending up in my food/drink because the server remember I tipped this shitty last time I was in.
Woah, that's unexpectedly interesting,...and also a totally foreign concept to me aye, lol.

Just checked the current conversion rate, and... $2.20(USD) = $3.37(NZD)p/h.

That seems shocking.
I made more than double that delivering milk, at 11yo.

Does this 'tips' thing actually work out fairly?, or is it much like the feral UK service?

Can't imagine that pans out too beneficially overall?
What if someone is really proficient fulfilling their job requirements, but is repeatedly screwed over by customers?

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Every time I’ve gotten food via door dash it is cold and soggy by the time it gets delivered. I refuse to use it any longer.

I always assumed as much. I am lazy, but draw the line at being too lazy to go pick up my own food that I already didn't even have to cook. Never used door dash before. Amazing how lazy we have gotten, and what the average poor in America will waste money on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom