Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FW de Clerk, the last apertheid president of south Africa dies

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder

Emma tenywa

Elite
Can you give us a timeline on this (as far as where he fit into S.African politics) and some more details?
Well, de klerk was born(march 1936) in a political family in south africa and that family background played a major role in his political success.
In 1972 he was elected as a member of parliament representing the constituent of vereeniging and re-elected in 1977. In his second term, he held different minesterial posts between 1978 to 1989 prior to being elected president which included posts like minister of national education and planning, minister of mines, energy and environmental planning, among others. When the then president (p.w. Botha) resigned due to illness, de klerk was elected the acting president and later as the president of south africa.
During his early time in office, there was growing sentiment and violent clashes between the xhosa people and the zulu which were fueled by the national security forces, which forces were also accused of gross human rights abuses but de klerk came out and denied authorizing those abuses. On seeing all these he decided to dismantle apertheid, organised for a transition, released political prisoners and organised south Africa's first ever universal vote in which his party(national party) lost to Mandela's ANC. He was elwcted vice president between 1994 to 96 and retired from active politics in 1997. During his time as minister, he defended, supported and enforced apertheid but after the transition he apologised for the evils brought by the system

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder
Well, de klerk was born(march 1936) in a political family in south africa and that family background played a major role in his political success.
In 1972 he was elected as a member of parliament representing the constituent of vereeniging and re-elected in 1977. In his second term, he held different minesterial posts between 1978 to 1989 prior to being elected president which included posts like minister of national education and planning, minister of mines, energy and environmental planning, among others. When the then president (p.w. Botha) resigned due to illness, de klerk was elected the acting president and later as the president of south africa.
During his early time in office, there was growing sentiment and violent clashes between the xhosa people and the zulu which were fueled by the national security forces, which forces were also accused of gross human rights abuses but de klerk came out and denied authorizing those abuses. On seeing all these he decided to dismantle apertheid, organised for a transition, released political prisoners and organised south Africa's first ever universal vote in which his party(national party) lost to Mandela's ANC. He was elwcted vice president between 1994 to 96 and retired from active politics in 1997. During his time as minister, he defended, supported and enforced apertheid but after the transition he apologised for the evils brought by the system
Very interesting, thanks

And how are things going there today?

PowerMEGA

God Fearing Patriot
Founder
This is a great post.

While some of the "liberators" in South Africa have some blood on their hands, there is no question in my mind that the system of apartheid was a tyrannical system that any lover of liberty would oppose. I am saddened by what seems to be a swing on the wrong direction for South Africa today, where it is now white people who are on the receiving end of persecution. "Two wrongs don't make a right." I hope South Africa becomes an example of liberty for the rest of Africa, but I'm afraid that things are going to get worse there before that might get better.

Emma tenywa

Elite
This is a great post.

While some of the "liberators" in South Africa have some blood on their hands, there is no question in my mind that the system of apartheid was a tyrannical system that any lover of liberty would oppose. I am saddened by what seems to be a swing on the wrong direction for South Africa today, where it is now white people who are on the receiving end of persecution. "Two wrongs don't make a right." I hope South Africa becomes an example of liberty for the rest of Africa, but I'm afraid that things are going to get worse there before that might get better.
There's a popular slang in africa called "the African democracy" its a style of rule whereby the party in power will show tendencies of democracy to the outside world but resort to despotism, oppression of the opposition, revenge politics, tribalism and all forms of corruption underground.media is censored so these evil acts are rarely given attention and thats what is going on south Africa

Jtrain80

Legendary
Nelson Mandela died?

There's a popular slang in africa called "the African democracy" its a style of rule whereby the party in power will show tendencies of democracy to the outside world but resort to despotism, oppression of the opposition, revenge politics, tribalism and all forms of corruption underground.media is censored so these evil acts are rarely given attention and thats what is going on south Africa

I had guy at work with a funny accent that happened to be from S Africa. It was interesting to hear his opinions on the current state of affairs. It was rough watching some of the videos he had been sent by his buddies.

Emma tenywa

Elite
I had guy at work with a funny accent that happened to be from S Africa. It was interesting to hear his opinions on the current state of affairs. It was rough watching some of the videos he had been sent by his buddies.
Ya, there's alot of heartbreaking videos that come out of south africa. At times you may even wonder wether that land has some laws

Emma tenywa

Elite
What were the results?
Well, the committee said that the motive behind 89% of the attacks is robbery, 7% is intimidation and 2% is racial/political factors. However this data was released in 2003 but from the recently released government data and individual farmer organisations in SA show that the murders have substantially decreased in numbers over the years.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
Had a guy I was following on Youtube send a link to an unedited video of a group of "men" raping a baby and then beheading it. I made it to the point that they beat the father and slung the baby by its leg out of the mothers hand.... I'll take his word that it was as bad as he said.

Latest posts

Top Bottom