Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Finally shot my new Arsenal AK47

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Im a firearm rookie. Limited to mostly hunting shotguns and rifles and have fired handguns a few times. Far from a fanatic.

That being said, my dad has been having trouble with hogs on the farm and not that long ago purchased an AR-15. How does the ak-47 compare to the ar-15?

I've been wanting to get one to have as my own for a while now.

Shaun52

SCAR Cawk Connoisseur
Founder
Im a firearm rookie. Limited to mostly hunting shotguns and rifles and have fired handguns a few times. Far from a fanatic.

That being said, my dad has been having trouble with hogs on the farm and not that long ago purchased an AR-15. How does the ak-47 compare to the ar-15?

Stay with AR. It’s just a bigger round and AR will still do the same job. Plus it’s easier to find ammo for it (albeit still expensive).

JerBearr

Stay with AR. It’s just a bigger round and AR will still do the same job. Plus it’s easier to find ammo for it (albeit still expensive).

So here's my genuine opinion. Take it for what it's worth because I'm a new AK guy. I own a PSA AR-15 chambered in .223 (don't laugh because its PSA. A PSA gun can be very reliable if properly maintained).

The AK platform is FAR and away more reliable than the AR platform; it is a much more simplistic design than the AR platform. The AK has proven itself in every war since 1946. If I am going to battle and expect to see bad weather, don't expect to fire more than 150 yards, and I cannot clean my gun regularly, I would rather carry an AK-47 than an AR-15 EVERY SINGLE TIME. If I am going into a battle and expect to see good weather, I have the ability to properly clean and maintain my firearm, and need a wide array of firearm attachments, than I would prefer the AR platform. I should be able to drop my AK in a mud puddle, come back tomorrow, load it, and it'll fire first time with a simple hose off. If I do that with my AR then I will likely have a ton of malfunctions.

That being said, I want to own both. I want to learn more about the AK platform. I purchased it because I want it to outlast my great great grandson. My AR likely will not do that.

JerBearr

A lot of the ammo for AK's is made in Russia. I had just bought a case when some thief broke in and took my AK and my jewelry. Left the case of ammo.
Unless you reload yourself, it's best to just buy Russian 7.62x39

Russian gun russian ammo. American gun american ammo.....imo hahaahhh

some factories will obviously be the exception because of poor quality control.

Monahans

Poster
Unless you reload yourself, it's best to just buy Russian 7.62x39

Russian gun russian ammo. American gun american ammo.....imo hahaahhh

some factories will obviously be the exception because of poor quality control.
This is........really dumb.

JerBearr

This is........really dumb.
lol I mean I explained it in like 1.5 sentences, I didn't really provide solid reasoning. I mean Russian ammo is cheaper and I dont care where it is produced as long as the quality control is good. I prefer to reload my own ammo because my quality control is better than ANY factory will have. Guaranteed. I have OCD and will triple check every single primer, every single round, hand weigh the powder, etc...

Let's be honest with ourselves though, unless you are using the gun as self protection or for competition shooting, shit ammo is perfectly fine to shoot. I wouldn't want to shoot physically dirty ammo because it will cause me to need to clean to gun prematurely, but the truth is, if you shoot shit ammo and take care of the gun (as you should regardless of the ammo fired), then it doesn't matter what is fired. As long as it won't actually destroy my gun, I don't care what I shoot though my gun. I do have special ammo for my protection guns and special ammo for my hunting guns.

Magtech for self defense and custom loads for deer/bear (only big game I hunt)

Last edited:

How many acres?

JerBearr

bout tree fiddy. (Seriously)
I once watched a video where a guy put a large quantity of tannerite near a huge feeding ground and took out every single hog at feeding time. In all seriousness, that could be a very effective way to eliminate large numbers of hogs at once. I can only imagine how long it would take to get rid of hogs one at a time...they'd run away every time they hear a shot....and each shot only gets 1 hog....

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
I once watched a video where a guy put a large quantity of tannerite near a huge feeding ground and took out every single hog at feeding time. In all seriousness, that could be a very effective way to eliminate large numbers of hogs at once. I can only imagine how long it would take to get rid of hogs one at a time...they'd run away every time they hear a shot....and each shot only gets 1 hog....

Here is a badass way of trapping them-

And the tannerite, which seems cool, but at the end, it is clear that it did not kill all the pigs quickly-

Apparently, you must watch it on youtube. The good stuff is at about 3:08.

Shaun52

SCAR Cawk Connoisseur
Founder

And the tannerite, which seems cool, but at the end, it is clear that it did not kill all the pigs quickly-

Dude that’s fucking horrible. You should reevaluate your life if you think that’s cool

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Pigs are nasty and they will tear your land and anything you are trying to grow to shreds. Don’t give a fuck if they are blown up.

Yes, nothing wrong with killing pests, and doing anything with guns and explosives seems cooler than doing it without.

JerBearr

Im not a big fan of killing animals in ways that make them suffer, if there are other ways to control the situation, but if you have hundreds of hogs that need be taken care of, you need to disable them before you can kill them. If you shoot 1 hog the rest will run away. You can't take care of a hog infestation by only killing 1 pig every day.

22*43*51

Boob Enthusiast
Founder

giphy.gif

JerBearr

I wonder how long until you can print a gun that looks and shoots as well as that one. Nice gun!

This is the plastikov. It's a 3d printable ak47. It is my next project when my fgc9 is don't. I believe this gun uses a lot more metal parts, so it should be similarly reliable to a standard ak47. But because of that, it will cost a lot more than fgc9.

1621689323819.png

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
This is the plastikov. It's a 3d printable ak47. It is my next project when my fgc9 is don't. I believe this gun uses a lot more metal parts, so it should be similarly reliable to a standard ak47. But because of that, it will cost a lot more than fgc9.

View attachment 22708

Pretty sweet, though obviously not as nice to look at as blued steel and wood. I bet in a few years, you will be able to print one of those completely. So cool.

JerBearr

Pretty sweet, though obviously not as nice to look at as blued steel and wood. I bet in a few years, you will be able to print one of those completely. So cool.
OH yes yes. I bet you can now with a metal printer that is high enough quality. Might need some post processing after the print is complete. But seeing as a metal printer is probably over 100k I'll have to wait until the tech comes down in price lol

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
OH yes yes. I bet you can now with a metal printer that is high enough quality. Might need some post processing after the print is complete. But seeing as a metal printer is probably over 100k I'll have to wait until the tech comes down in price lol

Yeah, the average joe being able to do something like that is probably a few years away...but the tech is sure getting better and cheaper quickly.

JerBearr

Yeah, the average joe being able to do something like that is probably a few years away...but the tech is sure getting better and cheaper quickly.
Oh yeah it's very exciting. The future for in home fabrication is getting cheaper and BETTER by the year!

what all can you do with a metal printer?

JerBearr

what all can you do with a metal printer?

The are substantially tighter bounds for things you can do with ONLY a metal printer. Without getting into too much boring detail, if you have a printer that can print metal AND some other kind of material that withstands the temperatures of molten metal, then you can, in theory, do anything a standard plastic printer can do. Post processing is MUCH more difficult. With plastic prints, if you need to sand it down, it's easy. Plastic is soft. As you can imagine if you have to do that with metal you have a lot more work on your hands. Filing/grinding is a lot more difficult. In general, metal prints much more sloppy than plastic, so a geometry you can print in plastic perfectly might take a lot of post processing in metal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom