Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Do you feel threatened when an unknown car parks by your truck?

WestcampTX

Elite
Founder
I'm actually going to say yes here, but it's mostly because I live in a tiny town and if it's an "unknown" car they are probably up to no good.
Looked up the town this occurred in, Martindale, and the population is 913. The town is also fairly close to Austin, so I would have to imagine they are accustomed to criminals from Austin coming to their town for "easy pickings." I am sure the guy was in a near state of panic seeing an unfamiliar vehicle in his driveway running with the lights off, but I personally would have a hard time pulling the trigger when the car was clearly trying to leave. For me this would have been a call to the cops, while doing a damned good check making sure every door/window is locked and secure.

Emma tenywa

Elite
Looked up the town this occurred in, Martindale, and the population is 913. The town is also fairly close to Austin, so I would have to imagine they are accustomed to criminals from Austin coming to their town for "easy pickings." I am sure the guy was in a near state of panic seeing an unfamiliar vehicle in his driveway running with the lights off, but I personally would have a hard time pulling the trigger when the car was clearly trying to leave. For me this would have been a call to the cops, while doing a damned good check making sure every door/window is locked and secure.
That would save some blood from spilling

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
Seems extreme. On the other hand, I'm not sure why you think its cool to just park in someone's driveway late at night. That is a recipe for a confrontation.
Yep. He could have easily parked on the shoulder of the road with blinkers on rather than in someone's driveway. Not a lot of traffic in Martindale at that hour.

WestcampTX

Elite
Founder
That would save some blood from spilling
I'm going to assume this kid was a city kid, and just ignorant to the ways of the world. I can't think of a single situation where driving through a tiny town it would be a good idea to park in a stranger's driveway in the middle of the night. It looks like this town has 2 gas stations that would have been much better suited for "checking his phone for directions." Sad to say, but the kid kind of brought it on himself.

As far as the old man is concerned, he is probably fortunate that this happened in Caldwell County (pop. 38,066,) rather than Travis County. He will be far more likely to get a jury that will be sensible.

Emma tenywa

Elite
I'm going to assume this kid was a city kid, and just ignorant to the ways of the world. I can't think of a single situation where driving through a tiny town it would be a good idea to park in a stranger's driveway in the middle of the night. It looks like this town has 2 gas stations that would have been much better suited for "checking his phone for directions." Sad to say, but the kid kind of brought it on himself.

As far as the old man is concerned, he is probably fortunate that this happened in Caldwell County (pop. 38,066,) rather than Travis County. He will be far more likely to get a jury that will be sensible.
Thats more like it he must have mistaken the ways of the city to be similar with the ways of other towns

PowerMEGA

God Fearing Patriot
Founder
The shooter cannot articulate any kind of deadly threat, so his use of deadly force is not justified at all. The victim was trying to flee too, which further implicates the shooter. In TX, you can use deadly force in defense of property, but that is only applicable in very specific circumstances. To me, this is a very straight forward case of murder, and the shooter belongs in prison. I don't care what the size of the town is, or what time of day or night the incident occurs. There is no legal justification to use deadly force unless you can articulate a deadly threat.

The shooter would be justified in going outside with a firearm at a low ready (pointed at the ground in front of him) and asking the trespasser what he's doing on his property, but if the shooter even pointed the firearm at the victim without justification he would be committing a felony.

Guys like this piss me off because they provide a basis for gun grabbers to advance their tyranny. I really hope the system "works" in this case, and the shooter goes to prison.

Of course, the CNN article tries to associate this to "stand your ground laws", which have zero application in this particular case. Just pure propaganda by CNN on that point.

Last edited:

GPSooner

Poster
Don’t try to argue common sense on this board. The overlying theme here is pew pew first, figure out the situation second.
Nobody said he should pew pew first. When you have to ask someone why the fuck they are in your driveway that opens up the opportunity for a bunch of bad shit to happen. Had he parked on the street nobody would give a shit. Not saying he should go in guns blazing, but by all means, make it mean what is convenient to your point.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Yeah scared or not he shouldn't have shot. If the story is accurate, which it very well may not be since it is cnn, then id imagine jail. But no one here knows if the car driver brandished a weapon or was actually pulling out. I said I was pulling out before and I did not

Emma tenywa

Elite
Yeah scared or not he shouldn't have shot. If the story is accurate, which it very well may not be since it is cnn, then id imagine jail. But no one here knows if the car driver brandished a weapon or was actually pulling out. I said I was pulling out before and I did not
Well, the story says that the shooter claimed that his victim pointed a gun at him but the police found no guns in the car or on the body of the victim

Top Bottom