Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Car dealerships.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Just had an ordeal with a car dealership in Franklin Tennessee. Being one of the wealthiest areas in the country, I expected a higher caliber of employees. Once again, I rank their employees just above a politician, and just below the "veteran" standing at the interstate exit.
New car dealership? I had a good experience at the Toyota and Hyundai dealership in Huntsville over the last year or so

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Someone convince me now is not a great time to buy a car from a dealership.

Some cars were going over sticker price because of demand. However, recently Ford and Chevy have said that is a big no-no and will no longer allocate cars to dealers participating in this pricing practice.

As a result, you can now buy any car for sticker price, but you may have to wait 4-5 months to get your car.

At the same time, used car prices are through the roof. So, you buy the car with the artificial cap on its price and sell your used car which is commanding higher prices than ever.

Wife wants a tahoe and i've been doing a little shopping. She currently drives a toyota sequoia which should have great resale value.

Zgdaf

Elite
Founder
Someone convince me now is not a great time to buy a car from a dealership.

Some cars were going over sticker price because of demand. However, recently Ford and Chevy have said that is a big no-no and will no longer allocate cars to dealers participating in this pricing practice.

As a result, you can now buy any car for sticker price, but you may have to wait 4-5 months to get your car.

At the same time, used car prices are through the roof. So, you buy the car with the artificial cap on its price and sell your used car which is commanding higher prices than ever.

Wife wants a tahoe and i've been doing a little shopping. She currently drives a toyota sequoia which should have great resale value.
Not going to convince you, but an argument I’ve heard about ford and Chevrolet trying to prevent markups is dealers will sell inventory to resellers that contractually split the profit of mrsp.

Follow these guys if your in the market.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
I buy a new Camry every 3-5 years, very easy process if you can get out of the finance office without them loading a crap ton of "perks" on to the bottom line.
Toyota’s financing department does push that shit hard. When I bought my wife’s highlander about a year ago it was a guy I played football with that sold it. He cut me a good deal, but he had just been “moved up” to the finance department. I bought every upsale he offered because it was a performance metric for him. So in the end I paid close to sticker price anyways, but I got the warranty that there is a chance I never use.

I usually piss off the finance guy pretty bad. They start the conversation and I pause them and say “look I’m not buying any of this shit you are doing to offer. Gap insurance, warranty, tire package, etc. So we can move and save time or you can do your speel” the guy at Hyundai said “it’s not a speel!” And then proceeded to talk and I ignored him the entire time. The “finance” guys have no financial education, they are just car salesmen that have got promoted

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
Toyota’s financing department does push that shit hard. When I bought my wife’s highlander about a year ago it was a guy I played football with that sold it. He cut me a good deal, but he had just been “moved up” to the finance department. I bought every upsale he offered because it was a performance metric for him. So in the end I paid close to sticker price anyways, but I got the warranty that there is a chance I never use.

I usually piss off the finance guy pretty bad. They start the conversation and I pause them and say “look I’m not buying any of this shit you are doing to offer. Gap insurance, warranty, tire package, etc. So we can move and save time or you can do your speel” the guy at Hyundai said “it’s not a speel!” And then proceeded to talk and I ignored him the entire time. The “finance” guys have no financial education, they are just car salesmen that have got promoted

Yeah I will get the Gap and the 80k mile maintenance option with them. I let the dealership do my maintenance because I can drop it off in the morning get an $18 rental for the day and pick it up after work. Keeps me from blowing a Saturday in a shop getting shit done.

I am on my 5th Camry since 2008 close to a million miles between them and the only thing I have done outside of general maintenance is a wheel barring and an alternator. And the alternator had 300k miles on it when it died (gave my 2012 model to my daughter instead of trading it in).

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Yeah I will get the Gap and the 80k mile maintenance option with them. I let the dealership do my maintenance because I can drop it off in the morning get an $18 rental for the day and pick it up after work. Keeps me from blowing a Saturday in a shop getting shit done.

I am on my 5th Camry since 2008 close to a million miles between them and the only thing I have done outside of general maintenance is a wheel barring and an alternator. And the alternator had 300k miles on it when it died (gave my 2012 model to my daughter instead of trading it in).
Toyota is the shit. Gap insurance doesn’t make sense to me right now because the cars are gaining value driving off the lot lol

Joe Kings

Legendary
Founder
Just had an ordeal with a car dealership in Franklin Tennessee. Being one of the wealthiest areas in the country, I expected a higher caliber of employees. Once again, I rank their employees just above a politician, and just below the "veteran" standing at the interstate exit.
Its gotten to be a terrible experience. They are stupid

D

Deleted member 2886

😂Fuck, and here's me just buying random cars 4sale off the side of the road.

#Always for cash, always hussle them down 50% minimum.

*Though ya definitely need to know a bit about cars if doing this.

Rva

Was in the original thread from day one trophy 🏆
Founder
😂Fuck, and here's me just buying random cars 4sale off the side of the road.

#Always for cash, always hussle them down 50% minimum.

*Though ya definitely need to know a bit about cars if doing this.
Do share your process.
Are there particular cars you recommend over others?
Is there a certain threshold price point you won’t pass? How do you get them down that low?

D

Deleted member 2886

Do share your process.
Are there particular cars you recommend over others?
Is there a certain threshold price point you won’t pass? How do you get them down that low?
Well there ain't much of a formal process to it aye.
I'm no pro, it's just how I've done this.

I just keep an eye out for them and check 'em out.

Regarding particular vehicles,...na not really, unless there's something specific in mind at the time.
Other than that, just look for vehicles which look tidy and reasonably maintained.

Price wise, 10k max asking price,...never payed more than $4k, which was a grunty Chevy Blazer I still have rn.

How to hussle/barter, this is where a bit of automotive mechanical know how is necessary,...and as well as a wad of cash to casually flash so the seller gets all hot 'n' steamy.

I simply scrutinize the shit outta the vehicle, give it a real good check over, and take it for a test drive while deliberately acting less than impressed/somewhat disappointed.

If all seems mint, then comes the final stage of bartering.
Ya just gotta remember that in many cases the seller is generally trying to get rid of an excess, unused vehicle and make a quick buck.
They may have unsuccessfully been trying to sell it for months as well.

If they know that you've got the cash right then and there, they're usually pretty eager to accept whatever *reasonable price that's proposed.
#Always start bartering with a low offer, maybe a quarter of what they're asking.

I find it's really quite easy.

I'll never buy another new vehicle from any dealership, especially not on credit.
*Coz, fyi, car salesmen/women are professional husslers and the vehicles are, imo, absolutely over priced.

Hope that answers your questions.

On a list of things I hate doing, buying a car from a dealership is a solid #1.
I hate it as well. when I bought my truck in December of 2020 I did everything online and agreed to terms over the phone. The dealership in bought my truck from is in West Palm and I love in Ormond Beach. They even brought the truck to my house and I signed the paperwork in my driveway. Best experience I've ever had.

Rva

Was in the original thread from day one trophy 🏆
Founder
Well there ain't much of a formal process to it aye.
I'm no pro, it's just how I've done this.

I just keep an eye out for them and check 'em out.

Regarding particular vehicles,...na not really, unless there's something specific in mind at the time.
Other than that, just look for vehicles which look tidy and reasonably maintained.

Price wise, 10k max asking price,...never payed more than $4k, which was a grunty Chevy Blazer I still have rn.

How to hussle/barter, this is where a bit of automotive mechanical know how is necessary,...and as well as a wad of cash to casually flash so the seller gets all hot 'n' steamy.

I simply scrutinize the shit outta the vehicle, give it a real good check over, and take it for a test drive while deliberately acting less than impressed/somewhat disappointed.

If all seems mint, then comes the final stage of bartering.
Ya just gotta remember that in many cases the seller is generally trying to get rid of an excess, unused vehicle and make a quick buck.
They may have unsuccessfully been trying to sell it for months as well.

If they know that you've got the cash right then and there, they're usually pretty eager to accept whatever *reasonable price that's proposed.
#Always start bartering with a low offer, maybe a quarter of what they're asking.

I find it's really quite easy.

I'll never buy another new vehicle from any dealership, especially not on credit.
*Coz, fyi, car salesmen/women are professional husslers and the vehicles are, imo, absolutely over priced.

Hope that answers your questions.
It did.
thank you

44Bobcats55

Elite
Founder
Just walked from the ford dealership. F-350 $70260 msrp and the wanted 20k market adjustment + 1900 worth of bs like tint, nitro, scotch guard etc.

Decided to just order one from another dealership for msrp no market adjustment. Have to wait for it to be built. Probably November delivery.

Latest posts

Top Bottom