Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Boundary Water Canoe Area

CadetHawk

Elite
Founder
Paddling 27 miles, about a mile of portaging spread between 5 portages, on Friday with three high school buddies. Well, the plan is 27 miles, but we aren't sure if we can go that far due to ice on the lakes. Regardless, we will be going in as far as we can and move further in as the ice melts. Most lakes had 30" or more ice a week ago.

Screenshot_20220511-210228_onX Hunt.jpg

Decent forecast. Saturday should be a great day of fishing. Cold front coming through Monday will slow things down, but that might be a good day to travel to a nearby lake to look at pictographs Natives carved over 500 years ago.

Screenshot_20220511-210147_AccuWeather.jpg

We are going to eat a lot of walleye, but I will get sick of it after a meal or two so I'm bringing some mountain house meals. Lots of shit needed for that many days in the bush.

20220508_193532.jpg

Somehow I got it all in my portage pack and backpack. 70 lbs and 15 lbs each.

20220511_205248.jpg

Off the grid until next Thursday. I am ashamed I have lived within driving distance my whole life and this is my first trip. With the money I spent on my gear I am sure it won't be my last. I'll update with pics when I get back.

Hoppo

Elite
Founder
That’s a great trip. I did 10 days in the boundary waters when I was in the boy scouts. Fuck that was over 30 years ago. Ate a lot of walleye and bluegill. And a lot of bay bread and summer sausage. Got to see the aurora borealis one night, and a few bears too.

CadetHawk

Elite
Founder
I'll take whatever walleye you didn't eat.
We all brought home close to limits. I kept some bigger ones for my smoker. I ended up catching the most, 50.

Before the trip I was questioning if a single spot was worth the journey and it was. The guys in our group and another said it was slow due to late ice out. The fish were stacked at the head of the lake, but we caught most of ours at the rapids where the river enters the lake.

Edgehollow

Elite
Founder
View attachment 102905

The same night as the eclipse we also had a space link train zoom by us. The picture doesn't show just how brilliant the light was. It was amazing and sad at the same time. The number of satellites we could see was also crazy.
Our AirBNB is away from town, and a night you get a great view of the sky. My business partner did a video of the satellites (we assume Elon's) pass over. It was pretty cool.

Top Bottom