Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BBQ joint thread

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
I have noticed alot of posts in other threads about BBQ joints. I figured we should have a thread dedicated to such a serious topic. Post your favorite BBQ joint, or somewhere obscure nobody knows about, or just whatever.

Being from SC, my favorite is pulled pork. Whole hog is best, and I prefer the eastern NC/ eastern SC styles, with mostly vinegar & pepper, maybe a tiny smidge of mustard or tomato.

If you ever take backroads from the midlands to the South end of the Grand Strand, you likely have seen Cooper's Country Store. It is on 521, about 5-10 miles east of 52 just past the prison. It is just a little country store, but great BBQ and boiled peanuts if they are in season. They have country hams, bacon & other sandwich meats, but I only ever get the Q. If you are ever in the area of Salters, SC, do yourself a favor and stop in...I always call ahead, because they do run out.

salters-cooper-country-store.jpg

Interior-of-Coopers-Country-Store2.jpg.webp

BBQ-Plate-from-Coopers-Country-Store.jpg.webp

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
I have noticed alot of posts in other threads about BBQ joints. I figured we should have a thread dedicated to such a serious topic. Post your favorite BBQ joint, or somewhere obscure nobody knows about, or just whatever.

Being from SC, my favorite is pulled pork. Whole hog is best, and I prefer the eastern NC/ eastern SC styles, with mostly vinegar & pepper, maybe a tiny smidge of mustard or tomato.

If you ever take backroads from the midlands to the South end of the Grand Strand, you likely have seen Cooper's Country Store. It is on 521, about 5-10 miles east of 52 just past the prison. It is just a little country store, but great BBQ and boiled peanuts if they are in season. They have country hams, bacon & other sandwich meats, but I only ever get the Q. If you are ever in the area of Salters, SC, do yourself a favor and stop in...I always call ahead, because they do run out.

Get in here @PleasureMoose. That looks like your jam

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder

I've passed that place several times in my life but never stopped in. I will make sure to stop next time, thanks for the heads up. We used to go that route from Columbia to Georgetown sometimes.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
I've passed that place several times in my life but never stopped in. I will make sure to stop next time, thanks for the heads up. We used to go that route from Columbia to Georgetown sometimes.

I also had passed it many times, and only discovered it a few years ago from a friend who grew up around there. It is a neat little place. Used to be in the middle of nowhere, but now of course there is a dollar general across the street.🙄

I like to buy it buy the pound. Feeze it and thaw for sandwiches later. Not quite as good after freezing, but still very good.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder

I love that place. I'll drive out of ny way to hit it

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
I love that place. I'll drive out of ny way to hit it

I used to live where I could leave work in the morning and drive 25 minutes to Cooper's, then another 25 minutes home. My freezer stayed stocked with that stuff all the time. Moving back to the upstate, it will be a rare treat...there are some new places in Spartanburg and Greenville that I want to try though, so that'll be fun.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
I used to live where I could leave work in the morning and drive 25 minutes to Cooper's, then another 25 minutes home. My freezer stayed stocked with that stuff all the time. Moving back to the upstate, it will be a rare treat...there are some new places in Spartanburg and Greenville that I want to try though, so that'll be fun.
You ever go to scotts in hemmingway? I used to hit that every year or so when I was going thru Andrews. I haven't been to the one in Chuck but I've heard it is just as good. I love backroad food

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
You ever go to scotts in hemmingway? I used to hit that every year or so when I was going thru Andrews. I haven't been to the one in Chuck but I've heard it is just as good. I love backroad food

I made a ride down there about 10 years ago just to try it. It was good. If I'm being nit picky, I like my pork chopped or pulled finer, not in huge pieces, but that is easy to fix. Also the sauce was a bit spicy, and I like hot bbq...but I did like Scotts. Very good, but not my favorite and WAY out of the way, no matter where you are headed.

Another good place in that part of the state is Brown's in Kingstree. Also Roger's in Florence...damnit I could go on forever. Trying to go to bed, & all I can think about is bbq🐖😡

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
I made a ride down there about 10 years ago just to try it. It was good. If I'm being nit picky, I like my pork chopped or pulled finer, not in huge pieces, but that is easy to fix. Also the sauce was a bit spicy, and I like hot bbq...but I did like Scotts. Very good, but not my favorite and WAY out of the way, no matter where you are headed.

Another good place in that part of the state is Brown's in Kingstree. Also Roger's in Florence...damnit I could go on forever. Trying to go to bed, & all I can think about is bbq🐖😡
Yeah browns is good too. I tend to like the red based more than mustard or vinegar but I will eat it all. I'm more a pulled pork guy than chopped.
Melvins down here has some good stuff. I love their brisket. The ribs I can make better

Astragalus

Poster
Founder

Another great place right outside of Columbia, SC. Not really a bbq joint, but they’ve got great food and everything else. It’s like the country wal mart. If they don’t have it, you don’t need it.

PleasureMoose

Legendary
in Tuscaloosa Big Bad Wolves BBQ use to come to HoundsTooth on gamedays.. not this year because of meat being so over priced. but they would open Friday morning and serve through Saturday night. Id always get the bbq nachos.. id spend around 40-50 bucks every weekend. damn good bbq.

Whitt's BBQ in Athens, AL has some damn sandwiches. Also Smokey's BBQ off hwy 72 in Madison, AL is solid if your around. BBQ is so expensive now for the quantity you get.. just doesnt fill me up anymore. MAKE BBQ GREAT AGAIN

Last edited:

Another great place right outside of Columbia, SC. Not really a bbq joint, but they’ve got great food and everything else. It’s like the country wal mart. If they don’t have it, you don’t need it.
Great little store.
When my uncle died a few years ago they had a memorial/visitation there a couple of days after his burial. He lived nearby and was a regular.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder

Haven‘t been to Sweatmans in years, but it’s fantastic. Used to go hunting in Vance, SC some. Would always stop by.
I used to hunt in Vance too Ninja.
OverWatch told me who you are. Hey Dude. Great to seeing you doing so well in life. Maybe it can work out so we can get people together and hangout some day. IMG_20210902_161252_994.jpg

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder

Just to confirm we know each other...my buddy living in a spare bedroom at my place used to work at bunkys in the late 80s or so.
I'm gonna message you and ask about some dudes from way back

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
in Tuscaloosa Big Bad Wolves BBQ use to come to HoundsTooth on gamedays.. not this year because of meat being so over priced. but they would open Friday morning and serve through Saturday night. Id always get the bbq nachos.. id spend around 40-50 bucks every weekend. damn good bbq.

Whitt's BBQ in Athens, AL has some damn sandwiches. Also Smokey's BBQ off hwy 72 in Madison, AL is solid if your around. BBQ is so expensive now for the quantity you get.. just doesnt fill me up anymore. MAKE BBQ GREAT AGAIN
Dude let's put together a show
Drive thru
The Deep South.
Only BBQ and side road mom and pops shit. Maybe we can make a hunting show w the folks we meat eating

Last edited:

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Dude, honestly it's absolutely terrible chain restaurant BBQ. I posted it as a joke. There is good BBQ out here.

This is smoking ribs in Orange County, CA.View attachment 56980View attachment 56981View attachment 56982View attachment 56983

This is Phil's BBQ in San Diego, CA.
View attachment 56984View attachment 56985View attachment 56986
Very good stuff, but I sure do miss North Carolina BBQ. I love vinegar based BBQ.
I thought you were a cop in Michigan. I was being nice..
ENC BBQ is very good stuff. I've had every country stand in SC. Now I'm hitting backyard seafood shaks hugging the coast.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Yeah browns is good too. I tend to like the red based more than mustard or vinegar but I will eat it all. I'm more a pulled pork guy than chopped.
Melvins down here has some good stuff. I love their brisket. The ribs I can make better

Melvins also has a delicious burger! Most bbq places do good burgers, actually. Maurice's has a great burger.

OrangenBlue98

Elite
Founder
I thought you were a cop in Michigan. I was being nice..
ENC BBQ is very good stuff. I've had every country stand in SC. Now I'm hitting backyard seafood shaks hugging the coast.
I work with the Sharif's department in Orange County. Not a cop, but work closely.

That sounds awesome! Love the food on the east coast, I only got about a year and a half before we move a lot closer. Going to Wisconsin.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
I work with the Sharif's department in Orange County. Not a cop, but work closely.

That sounds awesome! Love the food on the east coast, I only got about a year and a half before we move a lot closer. Going to Wisconsin.
And you're a funny guy. I had to read that a bunch to get all the jokes. Well done

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder

Excellent boiled peanuts at Mr. Bunky's!

Astragalus

Poster
Founder
I used to hunt in Vance too Ninja.
OverWatch told me who you are. Hey Dude. Great to seeing you doing so well in life. Maybe it can work out so we can get people together and hangout some day. View attachment 56979
Overwatch told me he hung out with you a while back. I believe we ran in some of the same circles back in the day. Would love to catch up some time.

ttyh

Legendary
Founder
Top Bottom