Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Are there any good reasons Biden shouldn’t forgive ALL federal student debt?

Rube Reaper

Elite
Let’s see if there are any thinkers on this board or if it’s just rubes.

Legitimate answers only. No pearl clutching about the national debt or handwringing by the privileged about how they paid off their loans.

Zgdaf

Elite
Founder
Yeah.. it’s called debt jubilee, usually happens every 50 years. The economy is slowing if measured over longer time frames. The money loaned is a made up number in a computer, printed out of thin air. Once forgiven these millennials will be able to stimulate he economy instead of spending on a made up number.
The real crooks in this equation are the educational institutions who indoctrinated students to go into the real world and create positions like inclusion officers, etc. this needs to be fixed by stop giving loans unless 70 percent of students in a degree gets a job in the field.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder

Legitimate answers only. No pearl clutching about the national debt or handwringing by the privileged about how they paid off their loans.

Nothing is free in life. It is a bad precedent to give anything away as it makes one dependant on another.

Biden should not forgive any debt, because someone is on the other side of that debt. Who is Biden, or any president for that matter, to determine that the debt should not be repaid?

Dismissing the debt will mean that bad choices do not matter, when they absolutely do.

Hopefully people start making better choices so they don't get bad student debt. You are not doing anyone a favor by picking winners and losers (not the governments job) and letting them off the hook for bad behavior.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
An equitable economy and furthering the economic recovery are important.

There is no reason people should be left under crushing debt simply because rube republicans are unwilling to invest in human infrastructure such as zero cost higher education for students and debt forgiveness.

An equitable economy is not the same as a fair economy. Economic efficiency depends on supply meeting demand at the most efficient spot. Equal opportunities, not equal outcomes. Pulling equity into economics you are just advocating for equal outcomes.

Economic recovery my ass. The stock market is at all time highs, inflation is soaring, unemployment is not an issue as there are more jobs available than applicants. The economy is on fire and I would argue overheated. Did you know that 40% of the dollars ever created by the United States have been created in the last 18 months?

So we have the easiest monetary policy in the history of the country yet you want to "stimulate" the economy by giving money to the people who made really poor decisions?

And yes, its total bullshit to the people who have already paid off their loans.

Im going to vote NO.

Last edited:

ChingChongDingDong

Legendary
Founder

There is no reason people should be left under crushing debt simply because rube republicans are unwilling to invest in human infrastructure such as zero cost higher education for students and debt forgiveness.
Zero cost higher education.... How does this work? Who will teach these classes for free? Will there be desks, tables, chairs? Who will pay for the electricity? Who will pay the electric bill? Will there be toilet paper? Who will clean these places?

There’s a whole country full of people that came from something and turned it into nothing. Just like there’s a whole bunch of people that came from nothing and turned it into something.

Sounds to me, you commies are just pushing to make your bull shit propaganda available to everyone for free.

To that I say fuck you!

Sikness23245

Elite
The inflation we’re experiencing is a result of supply shortages due to the private sector being unable to respond the strong economic rebound Joe has produced in response to the Covid-19 recession.

Serious answers only from now on.

Someone has been spending a lot of time memorizing his MSM talking points.

QuanChi

Elite
I could see there being value to a blanket forgiveness. It would be great to find a way to incentivize those who had paid it off (maybe some unique tax credits over a few years)

The issue is not near as much those that took the loans, but the predatory institutions. No one at 17-18 years old has enough foresight to really understand what they are getting into.

So if there is a forgiveness, it needs to go along with tearing down the system. Or have the universities foot the bill for each of the students with debt from their institution

Cre8ive

Shaping the Future of Reality
Founder

How many stars are in heaven? When is the last time your bank forgave your loan?

Last edited:

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
I could see there being value to a blanket forgiveness. It would be great to find a way to incentivize those who had paid it off (maybe some unique tax credits over a few years)

The issue is not near as much those that took the loans, but the predatory institutions. No one at 17-18 years old has enough foresight to really understand what they are getting into.

So if there is a forgiveness, it needs to go along with tearing down the system. Or have the universities foot the bill for each of the students with debt from their institution

I agree that much needs to be changed within our educational system. Just don't agree that forgiving loans is the way to push that change, it will only exasperate the problem.

Its not necessarily predatory lending just because people are young. There is a need for those products, 17-18 year old need loans for their education. Its often the best investment they will ever make, especially when done wisely.

Ignorance is no excuse. At 18 years old you are an adult. We need to do a better job as parents and as educators if we aren't making the right choices at 18 years old.

atlrichkid

Elite
Founder

it all begins and ends with parenting. 17-18 year olds should never be making this decision, and if so, should be on an incredibly tight leash. Think about the hoops you would have to go through if you wanted into a dealership and asked for a 100k loan for a car, when you were 17. They would laugh you out of the building....

Rube Reaper

Elite
Printing reams of money doesn’t cause that according to @America 1st/aka Paul Krugman.
The nation pulled the “printing” boogeyman out from underneath every bed when Dear Leader ran up the debt without any statistically significant inflation.

It’s probably the one positive of him and the Russians stealing the election from Hillary. Rubes destroyed their own broken narrative.
Bullshit. This is a weak excuse. It really isn’t that difficult to understand that if you borrow money and agree to pay a certain interest rate, it must be repaid in the future.
This isn’t true for federal student loans which is why Congress gave Biden and the ability to forgive them just like he had done with 11B in other debt so far.

It’s not a moral debate. We shouldn’t be making decisions about what’s best for the economy based on some Texas rube’s privilege and lack of values.

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder
Printing reams of money doesn’t cause that according to @America 1st/aka Paul Krugman.
Don’t you feel silly lying about what I said when anyone can read it for themselves?

We’re not seeing hyperinflation as we’ve covered before. Hyperinflation is defined as:
100% increase per year or 50% per month.
That’s not to say you can’t print into hyperinflation but that’s certainly not what’s happening in the US economy or anything even remotely close.

Let’s stay accurate so we don’t sound like the libs by over exaggerating basic facts.
How’s the weather in Bolivia?

thenick_ttu

Elite
Founder
privilege and lack of values.
Ah there it is. You don’t agree with what I say so you make broad generalizations about people you THINK are like me. There was no “privilege” in my life. I grew up dirt poor in the shittiest parts of the biggest cities in Texas with only a working mom, having never met my father. The only privilege I had was a functioning brain and a mom that taught me to be a man of my word and stick to my commitments.

Holding someone accountable for their decisions and legal agreements to which they agreed is not “lack of values”. In fact it is the exact opposite. It is the very definition of values.

RollyInRaleigh

Legendary
There was no privilege in my life either, growing up poor in the hills of West Virginia. Nothing is free and nothing that is forgiven just magically goes away. The hardship of paying back the forgiveness falls from the person who made the bad decision to the already strained backs of those that get up and go to work every day...I for one, do not feel responsible for paying back the debt of your children or you.

Juro

Elite
Because a student loan towards college was an investment choice. Same as buying property including a mortgage.

Because the parents and student made a bad choice on how to invest is on them. They live with that investment like how all investors live with their choices.

Forgiving it is a slap in the face to everyone who has paid off their investment choices.

Biden and the Democrats would only hurt their image and lose even more votes heading into voting seasons.

That's my take on it.

byrons

Poster
Ah yes, 'equity'. There's that liberal/commie buzz word for redistribution of wealth. I vote NO on student loan buyouts. This new so-called infrastructure bill is loaded with goodies for the Peckerhead in Chief's favorite social programs which I'm sure some of which will be shifted to other purposes such as student loan buyouts. Very little there for road/bridge upgrades..

Rube Reaper

Elite
Ah there it is. You don’t agree with what I say so you make broad generalizations about people you THINK are like me. There was no “privilege” in my life. I grew up dirt poor in the shittiest parts of the biggest cities in Texas with only a working mom, having never met my father. The only privilege I had was a functioning brain and a mom that taught me to be a man of my word and stick to my commitments.

Holding someone accountable for their decisions and legal agreements to which they agreed is not “lack of values”. In fact it is the exact opposite. It is the very definition of values.
It's not a generalization. If you were able to pay off your loans you were enjoying a level of privilege not everyone in this country experiences for one reason or another.

It’s a lack of moral values to make other people’s lives more difficult than they need to be.

The legal agreement says the loans can be forgiven so it’s just honoring the agreed upon terms as you would say.
Because a student loan towards college was an investment choice. Same as buying property including a mortgage.

Because the parents and student made a bad choice on how to invest is on them. They live with that investment like how all investors live with their choices.

Forgiving it is a slap in the face to everyone who has paid off their investment choices.

Biden and the Democrats would only hurt their image and lose even more votes heading into voting seasons.

That's my take on it.
Biden and the Democrats would risk losing millions of votes if they don’t follow through with forgiveness like he promised. Not forgiving the loans would be what hurts his image with the people that vote for him. Rube Republicans weren’t going to vote for him either way so no need to worry about pissing them off.

Forgiving the loans wouldn’t be a slap in the face to people who have paid off their loans. Those people could push for Congress to give them a tax break or they could just acknowledge the privilege they enjoy by having their loans paid off and pay it forward instead.

We need to stop allowing the privileged to walk through doorways of opportunity and then shutting the door behind them to the less privileged.

thenick_ttu

Elite
Founder
It's not a generalization. If you were able to pay off your loans

Wrong again. You make another broad generalization that I have paid off my student loans. I have not. That’s right, I would benefit from having my student loans forgiven and I still do not agree with it.

You’re really terrible at this. Do you care to go for strike 3 or are we done here?

Nayat

Elite
Every citizen should get $40,000 in college credit. This can be used to wipe qualifying student debt or go to school. If you have already paid for your schooling, this money can be used by your dependents to supplement their education.

While not perfect almost everyone can go to an in state university for free with this plan. You could also require proof of a degree to get the credit, or something like $10k per year completed.

Rube Reaper

Elite
Wrong again. You make another broad generalization that I have paid off my student loans. I have not. That’s right, I would benefit from having my student loans forgiven and I still do not agree with it.

You’re really terrible at this. Do you care to go for strike 3 or are we done here?
Regardless of whether you have paid off your loans or able to pay your loans both show a level of privilege.

You also admitted your own privilege when you said you knew your mom and had her in your life.

Think of how many kids in this country will grow up without knowing their parents because Dear Leader separated them from their parents over border policy.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Every citizen should get $40,000 in college credit. This can be used to wipe qualifying student debt or go to school. If you have already paid for your schooling, this money can be used by your dependents to supplement their education.

While not perfect almost everyone can go to an in state university for free with this plan. You could also require proof of a degree to get the credit, or something like $10k per year completed.

Instead of giving money away to everyone, I propose that we take that money and instead build or encourage more universities to be built. Make the educational system more accessible and drive down the cost of tuition for everyone through competition.

Why is it always give this or give that. That means you have to take. Why is there a right to take from others?

Juro

Elite
Biden and the Democrats would risk losing millions of votes if they don’t follow through with forgiveness like he promised. Not forgiving the loans would be what hurts his image with the people that vote for him. Rube Republicans weren’t going to vote for him either way so no need to worry about pissing them off.

Forgiving the loans wouldn’t be a slap in the face to people who have paid off their loans. Those people could push for Congress to give them a tax break or they could just acknowledge the privilege they enjoy by having their loans paid off and pay it forward instead.

We need to stop allowing the privileged to walk through doorways of opportunity and then shutting the door behind them to the less privileged.
This has nothing to do with privileged. There are dotted lines that everyone has to agree to when they take a loan.

All politicians and future ones need to stop promising that going forward. If they were smart, they should start promising how they can lower future costs of colleges and books to help the future students to not get stuck in these situations.

If loan forgiveness does go through, anyone who has paid them off prior should get awarded tax breaks or credits to make it ‘even.’ And that’s not privileged, that’s fair.

Rube Reaper

Elite
Instead of giving money away to everyone, I propose that we take that money and instead build or encourage more universities to be built. Make the educational system more accessible and drive down the cost of tuition for everyone through competition.

Why is it always give this or give that. That means you have to take. Why is there a right to take from others?
Congress has the right to tax while also enjoying the right to employer the Chief Executive or other agencies to spend.

Taxation is a basic part of any organized society. Let not go all anarchistic and suggest we shouldn’t be taxing and spending for the good of society.

We should make college more accessible but that doesn’t mean we have to forgo forgiving federal student loans to do it.

TopHook

Legendary
Founder
Regardless of whether you have paid off your loans or able to pay your loans both show a level of privilege.

You also admitted your own privilege when you said you knew your mom and had her in your life.

Think of how many kids in this country will grow up without knowing their parents because Dear Leader separated them from their parents over border policy.
Debt is now a privilege.

Rube Reaper

Elite
This has nothing to do with privileged. There are dotted lines that everyone has to agree to when they take a loan.

All politicians and future ones need to stop promising that going forward. If they were smart, they should start promising how they can lower future costs of colleges and books to help the future students to not get stuck in these situations.

If loan forgiveness does go through, anyone who has paid them off prior should get awarded tax breaks or credits to make it ‘even.’ And that’s not privileged, that’s fair.
And the fine print by those dotted lines say the loans can be forgiven.

Why would we try to force our elected leaders to stop offering to help people in certain ways? People are entitled to elect representatives to carry out their will which would include debt forgiveness.

Nayat

Elite

Do you honestly think lack of accessibility is caused by a shortage of physical locations to attend school?

Latest posts

Top Bottom