Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Architecture and Developments

Detective John Kimble

Stop whining!
Founder
Starting a thread on architecture, engineering and development in general. Not sure if there’s any interest in this. I present to you the future of interchanges, the Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI). Expect to see a lot of these in the near future, especially in Florida (I-4).

1637436935385.jpeg

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
What’s going on in the diverging diamond? Are those on / off ramps where they cross over?

The traffic circle has been implemented with good success in our town. Helps traffic flow a lot.

Traffic circles are wonderful to keep shit flowing, on moderately busy roads. Need more of those, and less lights & stop signs.

The pic in the OP confuses me, but I'm high. Seems overly complicated for no good reason.

Detective John Kimble

Stop whining!
Founder
What’s going on in the diverging diamond? Are those on / off ramps where they cross over?

The traffic circle has been implemented with good success in our town. Helps traffic flow a lot.
Are you talking about roundabouts? Those are also the future for intersections.

For the DDI, the through traffic crosses over to the opposite side like it’s England. This way, you can exit to the right for the ramp before the cross over and exit left for the ramp after the cross over. You never need a left hand turn light. You only have two lights to go through on the through lanes. However, these lights are timed together so you theoretically only stop once.

MVTPatriot

Elite
Founder
Are you talking about roundabouts? Those are also the future for intersection.

For the DDI, the through traffic crosses over to the opposite side like it’s England. This way, you can exit to the right for the ramp before the cross over and exit left for the ramp after the cross over. You never need a left hand turn light. You only have two lights to go through on the through lanes. However, these lights are timed together so you theoretically only stop once.
There are several in Atlanta and Indianapolis. Pretty ingenious so now you’ll never have to make a left hand turn across on coming traffic. Reduces accident.

Are you talking about roundabouts? Those are also the future for intersections.

We have several DDIs around Atlanta and they work very well.

Traffic circles are the American name for British roundabouts. Nothing new about them except some jabonies trying to sound sophisticated by calling them roundabouts.

Cre8ive

Shaping the Future of Reality
Founder
Starting a thread on architecture, engineering and development in general. Not sure if there’s any interest in this. I present to you the future of interchanges, the Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI). Expect to see a lot of these in the near future, especially in Florida (I-4).

View attachment 60535
That original design was done by Albert Speer, Hitler's architect - it was designed to kill foreigners by the hundreds of thousands. Put those in all of the big metro areas in the blue states and give us live, 24 hours drone coverage. What a show!

Last edited:

Detective John Kimble

Stop whining!
Founder
We have several DDIs around Atlanta and they work very well.

Traffic circles are the American name for British roundabouts. Nothing new about them except some jabonies trying to sound sophisticated by calling them roundabouts.
I guess Floridians are all British, because no one calls them traffic circles here.

Long Cat V2.0

Legendary

View attachment 60535
People driving on I4 will not be able to handle this.

GatorOK

Legendary
Founder
Small roundabout about a mile from me. Olds stop every fucking time. It’s a yield asshole and if there is nobody in the circle; GO!!!

on Another note do you put a blinker on to signal you are leaving the roundabou?

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Small roundabout about a mile from me. Olds stop every fucking time. It’s a yield asshole and if there is nobody in the circle; GO!!!

on Another note do you put a blinker on to signal you are leaving the roundabou?

I do use my blinker for leaving the circle.

DnATL

Poster
I do use my blinker for leaving the circle.
To really screw with people, use your left turn blinker once you enter the circle as you drive around it. I think they call it a "rotary" in New England - I recall seeing large signs in the median that said that with arrows pointed to the right

Detective John Kimble

Stop whining!
Founder

I would think you would use the signal. Of course, everyone in the roundabout is going to turn right at some point. I do know that a lot of people don’t understand that those in the roundabout have the right of way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom