Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

53 years ago today

mrt

Elite
About 8:30am a friend and pilot was killed as we were exiting the insertion area. Our ship was on the left side of the first insertion and his ship was on the right , we were merging toward one another at the very end of the area and he was about 150 feet to my right, the nose of their ship dropped and the right seat pilot was fast enough to keep them from all dying and crashing into the ground. One photo is of the crew chief and gunner both have died recently and the only one left from his crew is the other pilot. He looks old and wore out now. I know there is three of us left from my ship but I can't remember who the crew chief was that day we had a lot of replacement mid 68 so a lot of people were just flying on any ship that needed them. We went in at daylight and it had rained all night so the water was all the way back into the tree lines, we shot things up and tried to burn the hootches but the water was so deep the phosphorus grenades were all just fizzling out when they hit the water. I never heard the shot and it was to my left front. He was from Standford NY and I try to remember him each year. For 20 years I sent something to his sister but I think after so long and the death of his older brother she just would rather not be reminded any more. I heard nothing from her two years ago when I emailed but this past year I did get a message from her. It is always short but kind. Every year the list gets a little longer but the people you were with when they died are never forgotten.

Attachments

• crewchief and gunner Peter Millers ship.jpg
    crewchief and gunner Peter Millers ship.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 19
  • Just drop then here in the water and let's get to hell out of here..jpg
    Just drop then here in the water and let's get to hell out of here..jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Rained like a .......jpg
    Rained like a .......jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 19

mrt

Elite
It was my pleasure to spend 5 years in Our Army

Attachments

• T-Bird 4 Don Raczon  and Don Nelson-gigapixel-scale-2_00x.jpg
    T-Bird 4 Don Raczon and Don Nelson-gigapixel-scale-2_00x.jpg
    606.5 KB · Views: 11
  • T-Bird 4 totally destroyed after engine was shot up, taken out to the south china sea and drop...jpg
    T-Bird 4 totally destroyed after engine was shot up, taken out to the south china sea and drop...jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 10
  • The crew out looking over the 4 before it left for the trip to the south china sea.png
    The crew out looking over the 4 before it left for the trip to the south china sea.png
    260.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Viking Gunship I flew on when I moved to the 121st after my first year was over, all I had to ...gif
    Viking Gunship I flew on when I moved to the 121st after my first year was over, all I had to ...gif
    212 KB · Views: 13
Top Bottom